Previews Spotlight #049 (Nov->Jan): Fri Nov 11th: 5pm pac

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

comicm
Master Reviewer

Post by comicm »

BobBretall wrote:Marvel I'm Getting:

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #677 & #678
AVENGERS ACADEMY #24
AVENGERS 1959 #5 (OF 5)
CAPTAIN AMERICA #7
CAPTAIN AMERICA & BUCKY #626
DAREDEVIL #8
FANTASTIC FOUR #602
FF #14
PUNISHERMAX #21
SCARLET #7 (I still like some of Bendis' creator owned stuff, I just can't tolerate the MarvelU stuff any more)
SCARLET SPIDER #1 (I'll give this a try)
THUNDERBOLTS #168 & #169
VICTOR VON DOOM #3 (OF 4)

MARVEL MASTERWORKS: CAPTAIN AMERICA VOL. 6 HC

Hmmm..... unless I add something that puts me at only 15 Marvel comics.

Also, I'm getting that All-Winners Squad: Band of Heroes mini-series that is supposed to be 8 issues, but I didn't see #8 solicited this month.
I think they announced they are ending the All Winners Squad early because of sales.
www.geekbrunchpodcast.com - Geek Brunch
www.dcnoisepodcast.com (both available on iTunes via the iTunes store.)
Danscomics
Special Reviewer

Post by Danscomics »

HassanT wrote:The solicitations of Uncanny X-Force 19.1 looks like it has nothing to do with Uncanny X-Force but a new spin-off series, Age of Apocalypse. So while I get the Uncanny X-Force on a regular basis, I will not get this .1 issue as I have no desire to read the spin-off series.
I'm actually on the other side of this. I probably will get 19.1 because I am interested in the Age of Apocalypse. The only reason I'm reading Uncanny X-Force right now is because of the current storyline.
We now have digital comics for sale. Check out our shop

Looking for comics or games? Check out my main store and Comic Collector Live store. You can also sign up for the Comic Collector's Club subscription service on my main site.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

comicm wrote: I think they announced they are ending the All Winners Squad early because of sales.
I could not find an official announcement from Marvel, but several reports of cancellation with #5:

http://www.comiclist.com/index.php/list ... 10-26-2011

http://blog.newsarama.com/2011/10/21/ir ... cancelled/

http://sequentialartstorm.wordpress.com ... ues-to-go/

The irritating part of this is that cancelling the series with #5 cuts us off in mid-story and leaves issues #6 & 7 which had been solicited swinging in the breeze. Paul Jenkins is not even given an issue in which to wrap up the story!

Maybe Marvel will print a TP that tells the whole story, but I won't buy it. Nor will I buy any more minis from Marvel as they come out, since they are demonstrating they have no commitment to finishing a story if it doesn't sell well. That's certainly Marvel's prerogative as a business and it's my prerogative as a customer to not support potentially incomplete storylines.

If something finishes & gets a good buzz I'll track down the issues on the aftermarket one day.
IanG
Special Reviewer

Post by IanG »

BobBretall wrote:Maybe Marvel will print a TP that tells the whole story, but I won't buy it. Nor will I buy any more minis from Marvel as they come out, since they are demonstrating they have no commitment to finishing a story if it doesn't sell well. That's certainly Marvel's prerogative as a business and it's my prerogative as a customer to not support potentially incomplete storylines.
Marvel isn't doing anything right to win your business back, Bob. What will Marvel do next, go from $3.99 to 4.99. [WebWiz3]
ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

I missed the Oct. call. Am on the fence on Hickman's The Red Wing TPB. Can anyone please give me their thoughts on it pro/con? thanks,

e
L nny
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

ctowner1 wrote:I missed the Oct. call. Am on the fence on Hickman's The Red Wing TPB. Can anyone please give me their thoughts on it pro/con? thanks,
e
L nny
You could listen to this interview I did with the artist of The Red Wing, Nick Pitarra, in which I rave about how great it is....
http://www.comicbookpage.com/Podcast/?p=591
ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

BobBretall wrote:
ctowner1 wrote:I missed the Oct. call. Am on the fence on Hickman's The Red Wing TPB. Can anyone please give me their thoughts on it pro/con? thanks,
e
L nny
You could listen to this interview I did with the artist of The Red Wing, Nick Pitarra, in which I rave about how great it is....
http://www.comicbookpage.com/Podcast/?p=591
I could....but if I were in a hurry and wanted a quick 3 sentence review of it....? :^)

e
L nny
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!
Gilgabob
Special Reviewer

Post by Gilgabob »

It's a good enough series overall, especially if you are a fan of fighter pilots and time travel. I get a bit of a Battlestar Galactica vibe when I read it.

Pitarra's art is unique and can be very detailed in some scenes, like when a spacecraft is destroyed.

Each issue has been a fairly quick read. Of all my monthly books, I get through this one the quickest. (I just remembered Rachel Rising, so... second quickest :))

Overall, I don't think I like the book quite as much as Bob but these type of stories aren't usually my favorites so I am probably biased in that way.

3.5/5 for me
ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

Gilgabob wrote:It's a good enough series overall, especially if you are a fan of fighter pilots and time travel. I get a bit of a Battlestar Galactica vibe when I read it.

Pitarra's art is unique and can be very detailed in some scenes, like when a spacecraft is destroyed.

Each issue has been a fairly quick read. Of all my monthly books, I get through this one the quickest. (I just remembered Rachel Rising, so... second quickest :))

Overall, I don't think I like the book quite as much as Bob but these type of stories aren't usually my favorites so I am probably biased in that way.

3.5/5 for me
Thanks. So is this more of an adventure story? or a cerebral SF story?

e
L nny
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

ctowner1 wrote: Thanks. So is this more of an adventure story? or a cerebral SF story?
e
L nny
I'd call it cerebral time travel. Hickman has some pretty in-depth explanations on how time works.
boshuda
Special Reviewer

Incredible Hulk #4

Post by boshuda »

INCREDIBLE HULK #4
JASON AARON (W) • WHILCE PORTACIO (A)
COVER BY LEINIL FRANCIS YU
VENOM VARIANT COVER BY TBA
• The fight everyone’s been waiting for: HULK VS. BANNER!
• Banner unleashes an army of Hulked-out monsters!
32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$3 .99
I'm super-excited to see Whilce on a recognizable character again. He was easily one of my favorite artists and I suffered through Wetworks and the rebooted Iron Man solely because of his art. His interpretation of Archangel is still my favorite -- bar-none. I'm a little annoyed he's not doing the cover, but it is a pretty cover so I'll live. And my personal desire that the interior artist do the cover for every book on the rack is a battle that was never fought years ago.

If Mark Silvestri has to leave I'm all over Whilce taking over. If they round-robin every three issues so Whilce actually gets more than two books out a year I would be totally satisfied with that and would probably collect this until it stops shipping even at $3.99; and even if it has a less than stellar story.

The story blurb doesn't excite me too much but I'm really starting to enjoy Jason Aaron so hopefully it reads better than it synopsizes. I only wish I had received issue #1 to better evaluate the story.
ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

BobBretall wrote:
ctowner1 wrote: Thanks. So is this more of an adventure story? or a cerebral SF story?
e
L nny
I'd call it cerebral time travel. Hickman has some pretty in-depth explanations on how time works.
ohh...didn't know it was a time travel story..I have a weakness for those! Thanks, Bob.

e
L nny
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!
Ratenef
Fan

Post by Ratenef »

Later today I'm hoping to put up audio files for the following

Dark Matter
Star Wars KotOR War
Showcase Presents Young Love
I, Vampire TP
Transformers Robots in Disguise
Transformers More than Meets the Eye
Strikeforce Morituri TP
Ferals

Let me know if you're planning on doing any of these, and I'll happily back off.

Thx,
Trevor
The Crazy Canucklehead