Previews Spotlight #041 (Mar->May): Fri Mar 11th: 5pm pac

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Previews Spotlight #041 (Mar->May): Fri Mar 11th: 5pm pac

Post by BobBretall »

The new Previews is shipping late again this month (on Wed March 2nd), which would put the Previews call on Friday Mar 11th at 5pm Pacific / 6pm Mountain / 7pm Central / 8pm Eastern.

As always, get on Skype around the start time (or join any time after, the call can run 4 hours of rousing comics chat) and look for thejohnmayo OR BobBretall & message to get joined into the call.

Submissions for the Previews Spotlight #041 show should be in by Midnight on Friday Mar 11th.

Of course you can start sending in submissions as soon as you have them done. Sending them in early is appreciated as it give us more time to organize the clips and plan out the episode.

Discuss any of the new comics AND call dibs on reviewing any particular comic on this thread.

Remember: We encourage anyone to send in a short audio clip where they can talk about any book that's coming out in the upcoming Previews that they are really excited about. The email address to send the clips to is TheGuys@ComicBookPage.com. (Some people were only send them to either just John or just Bob and we both need to get them to prepare to recording the episode. By using TheGuys email address, the email goes to both Bob and John.)

PLEASE: Each featured item should be in a separate audio file.

We would also appreciate it if you put the page number followed by the full name of the item in the filename. If you don't know the page number, that is fine. Just leave it off. But having the full name of the item the clip is for makes it much easier for us to organize the files and prepare for recording the episode.
Tips on how to record a clip can be found here.

March Previews Consumer order form PDF

Dark Horse (Comic Book Resources)

DC (Comic Book Resources)

IDW (Comic Book Resources)

Image/Top Cow (Comic Book Resources)

Marvel (Comic Book Resources)

--------------------------------------------

Ape (Comics Continuum)

Archie (Comics Continuum)

Aspen (Comics Continuum)

Bongo (Comics Continuum)

Boom! (Comics Continuum)

Dynamite (Comics Continuum)

Kickstart (Comics Continuum)

Moonstone (Comics Continuum)

Oni (Comics Continuum)

Radical (Comics Continuum)

Zenoscope (Major Spoilers)
Last edited by BobBretall on Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 16 times in total.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Looking forward to some cool DC stuff:
FLASHPOINT #1
Written by GEOFF JOHNS
Art and cover by ANDY KUBERT
Not a dream, not an imaginary story, not an elseworld. This is Flash Fact: When Barry Allen wakes at his desk, he discovers the world has changed. Family is alive, loved ones are strangers, and close friends are different, gone or worse. It’s a world on the brink of a cataclysmic war – but where are Earth’s Greatest Heroes to stop it? It’s a place where America’s last hope is Cyborg, who hopes to gather the forces of The Outsider, The Secret 7, S!H!A!Z!A!M!, Citizen Cold and other new and familiar-yet-altered faces! It’s a world that could be running out of time, if The Flash can’t find the villain who altered the time line!
Not sure if all those !s in Shazam have any significance or are typos......
In any event, sounds like a cool event.
JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #57
Written by JAMES ROBINSON
Art and cover by BRETT BOOTH and NORM RAPMUND
Eclipso’s master plan is revealed at last! But how can even he achieve such an outrageous goal? And how does it hinge on his control of the moon and the Emerald City of the Starheart? The JLA must fight Eclipso’s ever-growing Shadow Army while looking for answers in a race against time to prevent The End of Days while he targets the next pawn in his plan of ultimate control: The Spectre. Plus, Obsidian is back...but whose side is he on?
OK, I want to know what Eclipso's plot is......I hope it is cool/unexpected.
STATIC SHOCK #1
Written by FELICIA HENDERSON
Art by SCOTT MCDANIEL and JONATHAN GLAPION
It’s been nearly a decade since Virgil Ovid Hawkins, a.k.a. Static Shock, rocked the pages of his own comic book. Now he’s back as DC Comics launches this new ongoing series!
Bang Babies are suddenly popping up all over the country: Hotstreak, Commando X, Virus, the Swarm and more are taking over where the Mafia no longer reigns. Can Static contain the rising mayhem? Not while he’s holed up at Cadmus Labs, undergoing vital testing!
For the first time, Virgil must ask: Why did he lose his powers? What caused The Big Bang in the first place? Why are new Bang Babies turning up outside of Dakota? Why has Dr. Rochelle Barnes arrived in Dakota? Stay tuned – because Static is back!
Probably the one Milestone character best capable of sustaining a series.

5 FINAL ISSUES!!! They're dropping like flies.....
BATMAN AND THE OUTSIDERS #40
Written by DAN DIDIO
Art by KEITH GIFFEN and SCOTT KOBLISH
Batman arrives in an attempt to unite Black Lightning’s team with Geo-Force’s for the final battle against Veritas. But as one teammate is lost and others leave, Batman must determine if it’s time to disband The Outsiders forever.
On sale MAY 18 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • FINAL ISSUE • RATED T

DOOM PATROL #22
Written by KEITH GIFFEN
Art by RON RANDALL
Cover by MATTHEW CLARK
It’s all been building to this! To retake Oolong Island, The Doom Patrol must face a pan-galactic array of foes, old and new alike. Hanging in the balance is the fate of the team, the island – and maybe even the world!
On sale MAY 4 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US, FINAL ISSUE • RATED T

FREEDOM FIGHTERS #9
Written by JIMMY PALMIOTTI and JUSTIN GRAY
Art and cover by TRAVIS MOORE & WALDEN WONG
They’ve saved America countless times, but there’s one national crisis the Freedom Fighters are powerless to combat: a troubled economy. The recession hits home as our heroes find themselves among the ranks of the unemployed and facing an uncertain future.

R.E.B.E.L.S #28
Written by TONY BEDARD
Art by CLAUDE ST. AUBIN and SCOTT HANNA
With Starro the Conqueror on the verge of complete victory, our rebel fighters Lobo, Vril Dox, Adam Strange, Starfire and the gang pull out all the stops in this series’ bloody conclusion!
On sale MAY 11 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US, FINAL ISSUE • RATED T

JSA ALL-STARS #18
Written by MATTHEW STURGES
Art and cover by FREDDIE WILLIAMS II
The All-Stars have followed the disturbingly powerful Prince to the lair of his archnemesis, Doctor Hate– but all they appear to have found is an innocent woman under siege! Has the team been deceived by a madman? Or is it reality itself that has gone insane? Either way, the consequences could prove disastrous for the team’s future!
I'm most bummed about REBELS. I really liked that series. Freedom Fighters was pretty good too. Really tough for any of these "B-list" series to survive......
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

I am looking forward the first issue of Flashpoint. I have started to re-read the new Flash series. It is really some good stuff.
comicm
Master Reviewer

Post by comicm »

I am really bummed on all of those books except JSA All-Stars. That is the one that I am not enjoying. The big hit to me is Doom Patrol and R.E.B.E.L.S. I also love the characters in Freedom Fighters.
www.geekbrunchpodcast.com - Geek Brunch
www.dcnoisepodcast.com (both available on iTunes via the iTunes store.)
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Marvel solicits are up!!!!
FEAR ITSELF: SPIDER-MAN #1 (of 3)
Written by CHRISTOPHER YOST
Penciled by MIKE MCKONE
FEAR ITSELF TIE-IN
SPIDER-MAN IS ROCKED BY THE EVENT OF THE YEAR!
Manhattan is gripped in violent panic. Peter Parker has not slept in days. Abandoning his friends and family, Spider-Man cannot…WILL not… stop if there are people to be saved. But as the opening salvos of Fear Itself take their violent toll, will Spidey have what it takes to fight his own doubts? Find out here!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

FEAR ITSELF: YOUTH IN REVOLT #1 (of 6)
Written by SEAN MCKEEVER
Penciled by MIKE NORTON
With a growing sense of uncertainty and despair gripping the nation--and the world--the remnants of the Initiative program are sworn in as federal agents charged with keeping the peace. Their ensuing actions, however, threaten to plunge America's young heroes into civil war! Featuring AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE stars THOR GIRL, ULTRAGIRL, CLOUD 9, KOMDO and HARDBALL--plus FIRESTAR, GRAVITY and some very cool surprises--YOUTH IN REVOLT brings the horror of FEAR ITSELF to the doorstep of a generation!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99
The "Fear Itself" mini-series tie-ins begin!
In general, I'm not a fan of these, but may not be able to resist one by Mike Norton featuring Gravity.

Wow! Real push on Avengers Academy this month!!!
AVENGERS ACADEMY GIANT-SIZE #1
Written by PAUL TOBIN
Penciled by DAVID BALDEON
HUMONGOUS-Sized Issue…Guest-starring The Young Allies!
The traps are set and the dice are rolled as the vibrantly villainous Arcade decides to rebuild his tarnished reputation…by setting his sights on the “easy pickin’s” of the Avengers Academy and the Young Allies! But when one of his teenage victims escapes, is it a setback for Arcade, or all part of a master plan to turn the entirety of New York into... Murderworld?
80 PGS./Rated A …$7.99
This was formerly the now-canceled Arcade 3-issue mini series under 1 cover.
AVENGERS ACADEMY #13 & #14
Written by CHRISTOS GAGE
Penciled by SEAN CHEN & TOM RANEY
Super Hero Prom and the Sinister Six in two big issues of the comic iFanboy named the “Best New Book of 2010”! First the Academy hosts a dance like none you've ever seen, guest starring the Young Allies, former members of the Initiative...and featuring smack downs and smooch downs! Then the trainees get a crash course in big-time villainy as they take on Spider-Man's greatest foes, the Sinister Six, in a story that will have major ramifications when FEAR ITSELF hits next month!
32 PGS./Rated A …$2.99
Double-shipping Academy this month. I know that this really ticks some people off. Interesting that they say "a story that will have major ramifications when FEAR ITSELF hits next month!" Didn't Fear Itself start LAST month!
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #661
Written by CHRISTOS GAGE
Penciled by ReIlly Brown
GUEST STARRING AVENGERS ACADEMY!
After his work with the new FF wraps for the week, what can the original teenaged superhero teach the worlds most at risk group of super-powered teens? Find out when Spider-Man substitutes at the Avengers Academy! But it’s far from a normal day at school when a field trip is interrupted by a vengeful PSYCHO-MAN armed with hate, doubt and fear! Guest starring the FF, Giant-Man…. and the Malevolent Marvel Monster Mayhem of MONSTEROSO!
Plus a “Day in the Life of Spider-Man” by Paul Benjamin and Javier Pulido!
40 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #662
Written by Christos Gage & Dan Slott
Penciled by ReIlly Brown
SPIDEY MEETS THE AVENGERS ACADEMY CONTINUES!
With dark and desperate emotional weapons at his disposal, Psycho-Man has twisted the kids of Avengers Academy into bloodthirsty villains! Now Spider-Man must do battle with the Academy students in a super-powered showdown that tests Spidey’s abilites and the promises he made in the wake of Marla Jameson’s death! All of it leading to the surprise return of a classic Spider-Man character next month! (Here’s your hint, arachnophiles: THE GOJDW).
Plus an Infested prelude by Dan Slott and Emma Rios.
40 PGS./Rated A …$3.99
If an 80-page giant & 2 regular issues were not enough for you, Avengers Academy is guesting in TWO issues of Spider-Man this month!
ASTONISHING CAPTAIN AMERICA #1 (of 5)
Written by ANDY DIGGLE
Art & Cover by ADI GRANOV
When a top-secret orbital research station is dragged from the sky by an unknown alien force, army-of-one Steve Rogers finds himself caught between two global superpowers on the brink of war! But how does it involve Volkov, a Russian officer he last crossed paths with during the closing days of World War II, and who disappeared on an ill-fated lunar mission over forty years ago? The red-hot creative team of Andy Diggle (DAREDEVIL, SHADOWLAND) and Adi Granov (IRON MAN: EXTREMIS) send super-soldier Captain America on a one-man mission into the heart of darkness!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
Apparently if a Marvel comic title starts with "Astonishing" it means Marvel is Astonished that fans will keep on buying new series that are 22 pages of story for $3.99........

Marvel Multi-shipping for May:
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #660, #661, #662
AVENGERS ACADEMY #13 & #14
CAPTAIN AMERICA: FIRST VENGEANCE #1 & #2 (of 4)
FF #3 & #4
HEROES FOR HIRE #6 & #7
INCREDIBLE HULK #628 & #629
MARVEL ZOMBIES CHRISTMAS CAROL #1 & #2 (of 5) (In May???)
X-Men: Prelude #1 & 2 (of 4)
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

5 RONIN HC CASSADAY COVER
A spellbinding story of five heroes pushed to their limits! It’s 17th-century Japan, a time and place of violent upheaval, wandering Ronin, and mysterious Geisha. Into this strange and dangerous world come Wolverine, Pyslocke, Punisher, Hulk and Deadpool. Five of Marvel’s greatest heroes — as you’ve never seen them before. Each has been wronged by a powerful tyrant. Each has taken a solemn vow — of vengeance! Collecting 5 RONIN #1-5.
120 PGS./Parental Advisory …$19.99
Hmmmm.......The 1st issue has not even come out yet.

I could buy 5 comics for $3.99 each, or I could order a HC for the same price.... (well, the HC is 4 cents more than the issues)......
abysslord
Master Reviewer

Post by abysslord »

"All of it leading to the surprise return of a classic Spider-Man character next month! (Here’s your hint, arachnophiles: THE GOJDW). "

Hmm ... I'm not coming up with anything right away. Anyone know what that is?

And I guess reading solicits 3 months ahead can have spoilers eh? :) Oh well.
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

BobBretall wrote:
A spellbinding story of five heroes pushed to their limits! It’s 17th-century Japan, a time and place of violent upheaval, wandering Ronin, and mysterious Geisha. Into this strange and dangerous world come Wolverine, Pyslocke, Punisher, Hulk and Deadpool. Five of Marvel’s greatest heroes — as you’ve never seen them before. Each has been wronged by a powerful tyrant. Each has taken a solemn vow — of vengeance! Collecting 5 RONIN #1-5.

I could buy 5 comics for $3.99 each, or I could order a HC for the same price.... (well, the HC is 4 cents more than the issues)......
This is such a bad business practice. How are stores supposed to sell this weekly comic book when the Hardcover is coming out so soon.
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

This isn't the first time that they double-shipped Avengers Academy. I will probably drop the title. I like the book but not enough to buy it twice a month.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

BobBretall wrote:Looking forward to some cool DC stuff:
FLASHPOINT #1
Written by GEOFF JOHNS
Art and cover by ANDY KUBERT
Not a dream, not an imaginary story, not an elseworld. This is Flash Fact: When Barry Allen wakes at his desk, he discovers the world has changed. Family is alive, loved ones are strangers, and close friends are different, gone or worse. It’s a world on the brink of a cataclysmic war – but where are Earth’s Greatest Heroes to stop it? It’s a place where America’s last hope is Cyborg, who hopes to gather the forces of The Outsider, The Secret 7, S!H!A!Z!A!M!, Citizen Cold and other new and familiar-yet-altered faces! It’s a world that could be running out of time, if The Flash can’t find the villain who altered the time line!
Not sure if all those !s in Shazam have any significance or are typos......
In any event, sounds like a cool event.
S!H!A!Z!A!M is not a typo. My guess is in this altered timeline the powers are split across six people forming Team SHAZAM instead of one person having all of them.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
spid
Special Reviewer

Post by spid »

BobBretall wrote:

I believe the HC is oversized, and I opted to wait for the trade so I am glad they are not making me wait forever for a trade.
Paul Nolan
Special Reviewer

Post by Paul Nolan »

BobBretall wrote:Marvel solicits are up!!!!

The "Fear Itself" mini-series tie-ins begin!
In general, I'm not a fan of these, but may not be able to resist one by Mike Norton featuring Gravity.
at least they are $2.99
BobBretall wrote:
I've no ideas of the numbers for recent zombies minis but at a guess, They want the Trade on the shelves for Christmas.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Paul Nolan wrote:
BobBretall wrote:
I've no ideas of the numbers for recent zombies minis but at a guess, They want the Trade on the shelves for Christmas.
Good point.
torchsong
Special Reviewer

Post by torchsong »

Moonstone has impressed me so far as an indie publisher (albiet of licensed titles) so I'm interested in this Phases of the Moon 3-flipbook series. I've been enjoying their take on Honey West, and got my wife into the old show now that it's on Netflix.

Sure, it's a crossover designed to say "Hey! We have other titles!" but this is a pretty nice way to go about it. Here you have a crossover that spans decades and features Honey, The Spider, Sheena, Kolchak, Domino Lady and more. I think these three are totally going on the order.
"That...that HAIR!!!" - Deadpool, Deadpool #11
Ratenef
Fan

Post by Ratenef »

Was just browsing through the March Previews order forms (now on their website) and saw that Jim Starlin's Breed is finally being concluded through Image.

It started as two six issue limited series, with a 3rd always intended.

The first six will also be offered as a collection via Image.

I think I've been waiting 15 years for this......

Guess what I'm taking dibs on for the next Previews show!