Previews Spotlight #113 (Mar->May) Deadline: Sat AM, Mar 11

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Previews Spotlight #113 (Mar->May) Deadline: Sat AM, Mar 11

Post by JohnMayo »

Previews will be coming out on Wednesday, March 1st. The deadline for sending in submissions to the Previews Spotlight is the crack of dawn on Saturday, March 11th.

Please post which comics you will be sending in submissions for here on this thread with the full title, issue number and publisher. That way we can reduce the number of duplicate submissions and maximize the number of different items that are covered. If someone has already posted that they will be covering something you are passionate about discussing, we are okay with more than one submission for the item but want that to be the exceptional case.

Remember: Anyone can send in a short audio clip talking about any book in the upcoming Previews (or slated for release around that same time). This includes creators, publishers and other people directly involved in the project. This is your chance to promote items, including ones you have worked on.

The email address to send the clips to is TheGuys@ComicBookPage.com.

The Previews Spotlight is released as a mono podcast, not stereo. If you record in stereo, I'll convert it to a mono record by dropping one of the tracks.

The Comic Book Page podcast is an all-ages podcast and is profanity free. I will have to edit out any profanity in the clips, including any unfortunately named comic book titles. If that section of the clip can't be easily removed I will have to replace the profanity with the DTMF tones for "profanity". In addition to this being my personal stand on profanity, it is also an iTunes policy: If your audio includes explicit language, we require you to set the explicit tag- regardless of why it is spoken (title of comic, name of street, etc.)

Please follow the naming convention of:
p###-[M###-]ItemName-YourName.mp3.

p###: the page number in Previews (ex: an item on page 80 would start with p080-)
Note that the "p" is lowercase. I use the name of the clip to sort the tracks in Audacity and it sorts all of lowercase letters before any of the uppercase letters. Obviously, I can fix this part of the filename if needed. If you don't know the page number, that is fine. Just use "p000-" instead and I'll look it up. Just use "p000-" for this part of the filename. If it is something not in Previews, use 888 for the page number and be sure to include a URL or whatever information might be needed to get the item for I can include that in the show notes if needed.
M###: If the item is in the Marvel Previews, use the first even page number in Previews for Marvel with the page number in the Marvel Previews. If the item is not in the Marvel Previews, skip the M###- part of the file naming convention.
ItemName: This is the name of the item. We need is enough to determine which item it is.The more complete this is, the better. Capitalize the first letter of each word and don't include spaces or punctuation. For example, "AllNewAllDifferentButSomehowStillNotParticularlyDifferentFromWhatHasGoneBeforeUncannyTitle1".
YourName: All we need here is enough to properly credit you in the show notes.

I've got some automation around the episode assembly process which uses the dashes to parse the filenames. Please do not include spaces in the filename. Not all of the tools I use to prepare the clips for the episode handle spaces or other odd things in filenames gracefully.

If you have a link you'd like me to include in the show notes, include both your name and the link it in the email to me and I'll add it to the system I use for doing the show notes.

The episode covers items in the order they are in Previews so listeners can follow along in Previews if they want to.

Useful Links
============
Tips on how to record a clip can be found here.

Online solicitations can be found at Comic Book Resources for Dark Horse, DC, IDW, Image and Marvel. First Comics News is also a great source for the online solicitations.

If you see online solicitations for any of the publishers that aren't linked to here in the thread, please post the link.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Re: Previews Spotlight #113 (Mar->May) Deadline: Sat AM, Mar

Post by MrAloha »

Dear Gang,

Here are some solicitations for May.

AC Comics: http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/ac-comic ... citations/

Action Lab: http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/action-l ... citations/

Dark Horse: http://www.firstcomicsnews.com/dark-hor ... citations/

Oni Press: http://www.cbr.com/oni-press-solicitati ... -may-2017/

Please feel free to post the other May solicitations as it comes out.

Aloha
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

Last edited by bralinator on Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
RowdyFromScrubs
Contributor

Post by RowdyFromScrubs »

Anything for Alterna Comics & their $1.50 newsprint books starting in May? I looked super quick & couldn't find anything.
Last edited by RowdyFromScrubs on Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

Here are my picks.

DC Comics:
SUPERGIRL #9
(W) STEVE ORLANDO (A/CA) BRIAN CHING

BUG!: THE ADVENTURES OF FORAGER #1 (Young Animal)
(W) Lee Allred, (A/CA) Michael Allred, variant covers by James Harvey, Paul Pope.

Image Comics:
ETERNAL EMPIRE #1
(W) Sarah Vaughn, Jonathan Luna (A/CA) Jonathan Luna

YOUNGBLOOD #1
(W) Chad Bowers (A/CA) Jim Towe
Last edited by doctormo on Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

RowdyFromScrubs wrote:Anything for Alterna Comics & their $1.50 newsprint books starting in May? I looked super quick & couldn't find anything.
https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog?p ... A%20COMICS
https://www.alternacomics.com/singleissues

looks like 4 titles releasing in may
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Drew's Picks

Moon Knight 14 (m075)
Predator Hunters 1 (p046)
Injustice 2 #1 (p120)
Saucer State 1 (p181)
Eternal Empire 1 (p202)
Normals 1 (p264)
Croak 1 (p272)
Ghost Wolf Horde of Fangs 1 (p281)
CalExit 1 (301)
Stained 1 (p364)
Damned 1 (p388)
Keyser Soze Scorched Earth 1 (p401)
Mind Bender 1 (p402)
Heroines 1 (p406)

WHEW! a record number of clips from me - hope you like the sound of my voice this month...
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

The ComicBookPage picks of the month are:

IDW
-STAR TREK TNG MIRROR BROKEN #1 (OF 6)
-SAMARITAN #1
MARVEL
-SECRET EMPIRE #1 (OF 9)
-GWENPOOL #16
ACTION LAB ENTERTAINMENT
-MEDISIN #1 CVR A BRAME
ALTERNA COMICS
-AMAZING AGE #1 (OF 5)
BOOM! STUDIOS
-MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #15 MAIN CVR
CHAPTERHOUSE COMICS
-CAPTAIN CANUCK 2017 ONGOING #1 CVR A GALLAGHER
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

My picks are as follows:

+ Star Trek: TNG: Mirror Broken #1 (pg165)
I ordered the FCBD #0 of this and I am a big fan of the original story this is from, so I'm interested.
+ Jack Kirby's FF Artist Edition HC (pg176) not in the budget, but in my heart
+ Pestilence #1 Aftershock (pg266)
+ Guardians of the Galaxy: Mother Entropy #1-5 (pgM76-M77) Starlin & Davis
+ Image 25th Anniversary Blind Box (pg247) not in the budget either, but potentially very cool
+ Adam Wreck #1 (pg272) from Alterna Comics. Printed on classic newsprint and cover price is half the normal for full-color and 40 pages. I want to support this publisher.
+ Casper #1 (pg278) both American Mythology and Joe Books are publishing new Harvey material. If it's got Hot Stuff, I'm in for a sample.
+ Swordquest #0 (pg330) - yes, it's based on the failed Atari game, but this issue is only .25 cents!
+ Harvey Hits #1 (pg376) the Joe Books Harvey title from Franco And Art Baltazar...IN!
+ Damned #1 (pg388) from Oni Press written by Cullen Bunn with art by Brian Hurtt. Sounds intriguing and it's only $1 for the first issue.

After hearing Kyle & Drew talk about that Image Box, I just had to mention it this round since it appears Drew doesn't plan to. He probably hopes less than 2000 people order it! I suspect by the time this episode airs, the pre-orders will be done, but I think it's worth mentioning for the historical aspect.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

bralinator wrote: After hearing Kyle & Drew talk about that Image Box, I just had to mention it this round since it appears Drew doesn't plan to. He probably hopes less than 2000 people order it! I suspect by the time this episode airs, the pre-orders will be done, but I think it's worth mentioning for the historical aspect.
Dang it Bralinator SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH - its a secret :)
alienal121
Fan

Post by alienal121 »

Well, after reading the previous posts and having nothing to do at the moment, I decided to make some clips. Now, I haven't done this for awhile (since the first one) and I won't have my Previews yet (My DCBS shipment just got shipped yesterday and it will take just a little under two weeks to get here), so I'm submitting only by using the solicits. Thanks to Bralinator and MrAloha for posting the solicits and particularly to Drew who posted the Alterna Comics solicits. My picks for this month are:
From DC: The Wildstorm #4
From Image: Kill or Be Killed #9
From Marvel: Champions #8
From Alterna: Amazing Age #1 (of 5)
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

alienal121 wrote:Well, after reading the previous posts and having nothing to do at the moment, I decided to make some clips. Now, I haven't done this for awhile (since the first one) and I won't have my Previews yet (My DCBS shipment just got shipped yesterday and it will take just a little under two weeks to get here), so I'm submitting only by using the solicits. Thanks to Bralinator and MrAloha for posting the solicits and particularly to Drew who posted the Alterna Comics solicits. My picks for this month are:
From DC: The Wildstorm #4
From Image: Kill or Be Killed #9
From Marvel: Champions #8
From Alterna: Amazing Age #1 (of 5)
so you submitted a clip way back in previews spotlight #1 -very cool you are doing another

i quit ordering print previews and now use the preview world link for the publisher solicits and the order form for the page numbers
https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog?cat=1

glad you are back
alienal121
Fan

Post by alienal121 »

drew wrote: so you submitted a clip way back in previews spotlight #1 -very cool you are doing another

i quit ordering print previews and now use the preview world link for the publisher solicits and the order form for the page numbers
https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog?cat=1

glad you are back
Ah no, I didn't do a clip for previews spotlight #1, I meant MY first one which was, I don't know, maybe 6 months to a year ago? It was whenever I got my DCBS order early one time so I decided to make a clip (Pink Panther #1, I think it was). Anyway, yeah...I'll look at that previewsworld site. Thanks!
MichaelCastle
Contributor

Post by MichaelCastle »

Hello everyone glad to see more listeners submitting clips this month. It took me awhile to work up the courage to do it but once you do it is a blast. I use Voice Recorder App on my iPhone and record and email them to John. It's really easy to do and certainly don't need professional recording equipment. Looking forward to hearing all your clips this month. Here are my picks:

1) Page 198, Image , Regression #1
2) page 206, Image, Cannibal #5
3) page 210, Image, Saga #43 (25 cent issue!)
4) page 239, Image, Rockstars volume 1
5) page 262, Action Lab, MediSin #1
6) page 300, Black Mask, Last Song #1

Bralinator our wives aren't supposed to know about the Image Blindbox lol! Drew and Kyle need to order a couple so we can live vicariously through them lol. To get one of those sketch covers would be amazing! It's so so tempting! Oh man that one in 500 Here's Negan would be crazy awesome too!