About those Marvel variants...

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

bralinator
Special Reviewer

About those Marvel variants...

Post by bralinator »

Is the speculator bubble about to burst? Feels a bit like the 90's again.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/01/08 ... ck-prices/
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Re: About those Marvel variants...

Post by erickowabunga »

I shared this with a few folks, and should post it here. This usually happens up to three times per year. Who controls this, I don't know (Marvel or Diamond).

But, in addition to the single issues, trades and hardcovers go on fire sale for retailers ($29.99 hardcovers for $2.50). The best titles/issues/etc. usually have a very low amount available (usually the over printing to cover damages during shipping) and go right away - we are talking 1 - 3 books. There are others (blank covers) that you can order a semi truck full if you want (okay, that was an overstatement, but it doesn't feel like it). Marvel is BY FAR the biggest abuser of this system.

DC generally holds one or two of these when they come out with a new collected edition format, or things begin to get long in the tooth. IDW and Image will do something similar, but will often provide an extra % off (example: say you get 35% off SRP for IDW books, they will run a discount fire sale that you get an extra 15% off, so 50% off total).

In addition to these one off sales, every thursday there is an updated Diamond Liquidation list. It oscillates opposite weeks from print media and merchandise. So Thursday 1 would be comics, trades, manga (any/all publishers), Thursday 2 would be merchandise (figures, shirts, models, Pop! Vinyl, etc.). Thursday 3 print, Thursday 4 merchandise, and so on. Granted much of the stuff that hits these lists are not always desirable, or, they don't have much of a price reduction.

Bottom line, these are constantly occurring, and nothing new to retailers. In my opinion they are not an indication of a bubble burst, at least no more than publisher shenanigans already on-going.