Suicide squad reviews

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

drew
Master Reviewer

Suicide squad reviews

Post by drew »

anyone seen yet? how is it?
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Re: Suicide squad reviews

Post by bralinator »

I just read where MTV's movie reviewer thought it was blatantly sexist. While Vanity Fair commented that it was "steeped in flaccid machismo" with "appalling sexism" "a soupçon of racism" and contained "hideously timed gun worship." Then there's The Wrap who labels it "vulgar, mean and sexist."

While it apparently isn't a politically correct film, I'm also hearing it has some pacing issues, and the story and villain are pretty thin, but otherwise DC fans should love it. Sounds like a film I would enjoy, but I'm waiting for home release for this one.
MichaelCastle
Contributor

Post by MichaelCastle »

I saw it Thursday and Friday. My wife and I are huge fans of the comic and we thought it was great! Definitely getting this on DVD. Obviously I am already very biased and predisposed to like this movie so probably not the best person to give my opinion. Added bonus getting to see Wonder Woman trailer on the big screen it looks fantastic!
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

MichaelCastle wrote:I saw it Thursday and Friday. My wife and I are huge fans of the comic and we thought it was great! Definitely getting this on DVD. Obviously I am already very biased and predisposed to like this movie so probably not the best person to give my opinion. Added bonus getting to see Wonder Woman trailer on the big screen it looks fantastic!
I like most all comic book superhero movies so I am probably in your camp - I need to get to the theatre soon
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

I enjoyed the movie enough, it certainly isn't the worst film ever made. That being said it wasn't a great film either. For comparison it reminded me of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen film staring Sean Connery from 2003. While many people thought that film was awful I thought it was OK, I feel that same way about Suicide Squad. My two big complaints with Suicide Squad are the pacing is really weird and erratic with the film dragging significantly at times. The film is almost 2 hour exactly but when walking out it felt like 3. My other major complaint was the choice of villain, was horrendous. I didn't care for that story line from the comic either, back near the start of Suicide Squad. In the movie the villain is not explained or introduced well and overall the character is very one dimensional. If your a comic book fan see Suicide Squat but lower your expectations.
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

The wife and I saw it yesterday and we liked it a lot. Seeing all the comic characters in a live action movie was incredible. The casting was near perfect. Wil Smith, Margot Robbie, Jai Courtney, etc made me believe they were Deadshot, Harley, and Boomerang.
fudd71 wrote:the pacing is really weird and erratic with the film dragging significantly at times.
I agree. The pacing in the first half gave the film an unpredictable nature, kind of like the characters themselves, but that was part of the fun. The dragging was evident during the multiple fights with the 'henchmen'.
fudd71 wrote:My other major complaint was the choice of villain, was horrendous.
I didn't mind the 'big bad' quite so much, but the actions of the Joker seemed to steal some of that 'world ending' threat. You can't have DC's biggest villain play a smaller role and not expect the real threat to be overshadowed.

Finally, the soundtrack was an awesome mix. Very Guardians-esqe but with variety of old and modern, rock and rap. Loved the selection.
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

I don't know. It may be 'entertaining,' but it wasn't a great movie as a whole. The disappointment of the film stings a bit more when you remember how good the trailers were. Every trailer seemed exciting and entertaining, quite the tonal shift from the other DC films. But in the theater, Suicide Squad was the same tonally serious and drab film that BvS and MoS were. T

Suicide squad had such a slow start because it spent way too much time introducing the characters. Guardians also had the problem of audiences not knowing the characters, but they proved you don't really need to know that much to actually follow the characters and get to know them through a well written story.

I also think the difference between music selections in Guardians vs Suicide Squad was primarily that in GotG, the music was integral, almost its own character, while in SS the choices really seemed either way too obvious or absolutely arbitrary.

Don't get me started on Leto's Joker.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

hmmm i liked it - deadshot was great, harley/joker good, movie did a much better job of showing the chemistry between the squad and their redeeming qualities than the last 2 or 3 volumes of the comics did, amanda waller still totally unlikeable, she needs an overhaul, end battle a bit long but overall - i give it a B
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

I still say I t's a complete schizophrenic mess, but it's a DC movie so I presumed you were going to give it a good grade, Drew. Haha. Heck, you gave BvS a good grade and I think that film was a dumpster fire.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

bralinator wrote:I still say I t's a complete schizophrenic mess, but it's a DC movie so I presumed you were going to give it a good grade, Drew. Haha. Heck, you gave BvS a good grade and I think that film was a dumpster fire.
well its certainly no fantastic four...but what is
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

drew wrote:
bralinator wrote:I still say I t's a complete schizophrenic mess, but it's a DC movie so I presumed you were going to give it a good grade, Drew. Haha. Heck, you gave BvS a good grade and I think that film was a dumpster fire.
well its certainly no fantastic four...but what is
True, the Fan4stic Four was a cluster-f/train wreck... Completely FUBAR, but DC needs to rise to occasion and produce a tight, consistent, original, fun, clever, mass audience entertaining movie. They have the properties and the talent, but these movies are strictly for the converted, and even then, they're not easy to watch. I have no interest in a second viewing of BvS or Man of Steel. Hopefully Wonder Woman will redeem DC/WB.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

I really liked deapool so I want more of that style - give me boobs and f-bombs and capes please
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

drew wrote:I really liked deapool so I want more of that style - give me boobs and f-bombs and capes please

Deadpool was by far one of the best FOX produced superhero movies in the last several years. They might consider letting the Fantastic Four and X-Men properties rest a while.
SpideySavestheDay
Reviewer

Post by SpideySavestheDay »

bralinator wrote:.
drew wrote:I really liked deapool so I want more of that style - give me boobs and f-bombs and capes please

Deadpool was by far one of the best FOX produced superhero movies in the last several years. They might consider letting the Fantastic Four and X-Men properties rest a while.
I thought the X-men franchise was turning a corner after Days of Future Past; by saying goodbye to the old cast in a way that was meaningful allowed the new cast to take ownership of the story. Unfortunately, Singer overplayed his hand with Apocalypse. Too bad...the new X-Men cast and Deadpool made the X-universe fun again and potentially a strong challenger to the MCU.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

SpideySavestheDay wrote:
bralinator wrote:.

I thought the X-men franchise was turning a corner after Days of Future Past; by saying goodbye to the old cast in a way that was meaningful allowed the new cast to take ownership of the story. Unfortunately, Singer overplayed his hand with Apocalypse. Too bad...the new X-Men cast and Deadpool made the X-universe fun again and potentially a strong challenger to the MCU.
Enjoyed most of the x movies - I hope fox keeps cranking them out - I like Sony spidey movies too - looking forward to that reboot