Previews Spotlight #059 (Sep->Nov): Sep 7th, 5pm pacific

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Previews Spotlight #059 (Sep->Nov): Sep 7th, 5pm pacific

Post by BobBretall »

Previews is coming out on August 29th, the Previews call will be on Friday Sept 7th at 5pm Pacific / 6pm Mountain / 7pm Central / 8pm Eastern.

Submissions for the Previews Spotlight #059 show should be in by Saturday Sept 8th.

As always, get on Skype around the start time (or join any time after, the call can run 4 hours of rousing comics chat) and look for BobBretall or thejohnmayo & message to get joined into the call.

Of course you can start sending in submissions as soon as you have them done. Sending them in early is appreciated as it give us more time to organize the clips and plan out the episode.

Discuss any of the new comics AND call dibs on reviewing any particular comic on this thread.

Remember: We encourage anyone to send in a short audio clip where they can talk about any book that's coming out in the upcoming Previews that they are really excited about. The email address to send the clips to is TheGuys@ComicBookPage.com. (Some people were only send them to either just John or just Bob and we both need to get them to prepare to recording the episode. By using TheGuys email address, the email goes to both Bob and John.)

PLEASE: Each featured item should be in a separate audio file.

We would also appreciate it if you put the page number followed by the full name of the item in the filename. If you don't know the page number, that is fine. Just leave it off. But having the full name of the item the clip is for makes it much easier for us to organize the files and prepare for recording the episode.
Tips on how to record a clip can be found here.

Dark Horse (Newsarama)

DC (Newsarama)

IDW (Comics Continuum)

Image (Comic Book Resources)

Marvel (Newsarama)

--------------------------------------------
Archie (Comics Continuum)

Aspen (Comics Continuum)

Bluewater (Comics Continuum)

Bongo (Comics Continuum)

Boom! (Comics Continuum)

Oni (Comics Continuum)

Valiant (Comics Continuum)

Zenescope (Comics Continuum)

Action Lab
Antarctic
Ape
Arcana
Archaia
Ardden
Big Dog Ink
Dynamite
Moonstone
Red 5
Zenescope
Last edited by BobBretall on Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Boom!

Loved the mini, I'll be getting the on-going.....
GRACE RANDOLPH'S SUPURBIA #1
A new ongoing series! Meet the Meta Legion, the world's foremost faction of crime-fighting capes. But what happens when the masks come off and the heroes are faced with the sordid problems of everyday life in the suburbs? A unique new twist on the superhero genre that appeals to both diehard fans and readers completely new to comics. New stories, new characters, new drama...
I'm also getting:
Extermination #6
Higher Earth #7
Hypernaturals #5
Steed & Mrs. Peel #3 (Steve Bryant-y goodness, with some guy called Waid writing....)
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Dark Horse

Stan Sakai!!!!!!!!
47 RONIN #1 (of 5)
Mike Richardson (W) and Stan Sakai (A/Cover)
Among the best-known tales in Japanese history, the legend of the 47 Ronin and their epic mission to avenge their disgraced master epitomizes the samurai code of honor. It has been said, “To know the story of the 47 Ronin is to know Japan.” Retold through the ages, the legend at last comes to comics in a meticulously researched and beautifully illustrated miniseries from Mike Richardson, Stan Sakai, and editorial consultant Kazuo Koike! Recounting this sweeping tale of honor and violence in all its grandeur, chapter one details the tragic incident that would seal the fate of Lord Asano and set forty-seven of his vassals on a years-long path of vengeance!
This looks good to me....
COLDER #1 (of 5)
Paul Tobin (W) and Juan Ferreyra (A/Cover)
Declan Thomas’s body temperature is dropping. He never gets sick, never feels pain. An ex-inmate of an insane asylum that was destroyed in a fire, he has the strange ability to step inside a person’s madness and sometimes cure it. He hopes to one day cure his own, but time is running out, because when his temperature reaches zero . . . it’s over.
I'm also getting:
CONAN THE BARBARIAN #10
GHOST #2
THE GOON #44
THE MASSIVE #6
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

I like the sound of this......
GREAT PACIFIC #1
story JOE HARRIS
art / cover MARTÌN MORAZZO
“TRASHED!”, Part One
Chas Worthington dreams of big things, solving bigger problems, and making his mark on the world. Only no one takes the twenty-one year-old heir to one of the biggest oil fortunes in history very seriously. That is, until he turns his back on his cushy life of wealth and prestige, and seeks to solve an environmental disaster twice the size of his native Texas known as the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. The epic sci-fi adventure and survival tale begins!
Another one that has me intrigued. I want to see where they go with this:
COMEBACK #1 (of 5)
story ED BRISSON
art / cover MICHAEL WALSH
Reconnect is more than a company – it’s an opportunity for good. Reconnect can reverse tragedy by sending agents into the past to rescue your mother, your wife, your brother or father or child moments before their untimely death. Mark is one of these agents. He brings the rescued from the past to the present, to a blessed reunion with their loved ones. He saves lives...or does he?
Sequel to "Who Is Jake Ellis?"....I'm in!
WHERE IS JAKE ELLIS? #1 (of 5)
story NATHAN EDMONDSON
art / cover TONCI ZONJIC
"CHAPTER SIX,"
Jon is in hiding. For almost a year, he has survived on his own in a remote corner of the world, but the powers behind the Facility have not forgotten him. The most wanted man in the world is soon in the crosshairs of powerful and mysterious people, and he will not be able to stop them on his own.
More Witch Doctor! This is a great series.
WITCH DOCTOR: MALPRACTICE #1 (of 6)
story BRANDON SEIFERT
art / cover LUKAS KETNER
Even the world’s leading expert in supernatural disease needs to unwind sometimes. But when Dr. Morrow wakes up with no memory of what – and who! – he did last night, is it just a case of partying too hard… or something more malignant? (Hint: It’s the malignant one!)
LUNA!!!!
STAR BRIGHT AND THE LOOKING GLASS HC
story / art / cover JONATHAN LUNA
When Star Bright, a forest maiden, encounters an evil sorceress who steals her beauty, she must embark on a dangerous journey with her animal friends – Toad, Owl and Capybara – to retrieve it.
JONATHAN LUNA, of THE LUNA BROTHERS (GIRLS, THE SWORD, ULTRA), makes his solo debut, writing and illustrating an original fairy-tale picture book of prose and 33 full-page watercolor illustrations in a 9x12” hardcover format.
I already got this one via the Kickstarter:
RETROVIRUS HC
story JIMMY PALMIOTTI & JUSTIN GRAY
art NORBERTO FERNANDEZ
When Zoe, a brilliant young scientist who specializes in identifying extinct viruses, is offered a job at a remote research facility in Antarctica, she soon discovers her employer has unearthed a perfectly preserved Neanderthal. That is only one of the many dark secrets lurking at the facility as Zoe races against time to stop a global pandemic.
In the vein of Andromeda Strain, Altered States and Jurassic Park, RETROVIRUS seamlessly blends human drama, action, science fiction and horror
Other Stuff I'm getting:
BEDLAM #2
DANGER CLUB #6
ELEPHANTMEN #46
EPIC KILL #6
GLORY #30
HAPPY! #3 (of 4)
HARVEST #4 (of 5)
INVINCIBLE #98
IT GIRL & THE ATOMICS #4
THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS #9
MIND THE GAP #6
MULTIPLE WARHEADS: ALPHABET TO INFINITY #2 (of 4)
PLANETOID #5
POINT OF IMPACT #2 (of 4)
REVIVAL #5
SAGA #7
THIEF OF THIEVES # 10
THINK TANK #4
THE WALKING DEAD #104
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Marvel
Only 15 double ships this month, a bit less than usual (I'm counting in the 2 Point 1 issues along with their regulars in this total).

Stuff that has compelled me to give it a try:
INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK #1 - I'm willing to give Mark Waid a shot

IRON MAN #1 - I'll try this one out, but I'm not keen on ordering 2 issues this month & then another few issues before I can try it, so I will order #1 ONLY.

And I'll be getting:
AVENGING SPIDER-MAN #14
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #697 + 698
DAREDEVIL #20
HAWKEYE #4
WINTER SOLDIER #13
MARVEL MASTERWORKS: ATLAS ERA JUNGLE ADVENTURE VOL. 3 HC — VARIANT EDITION VOL. 191 (DM ONLY)

Stuff that does not sound interesting to me:
THOR: GOD OF THUNDER #1 & 2 - "the gruesome mystery of the God Butcher!" AND double-shipped. I'll pass.

CAPTAIN AMERICA #1 - "Thrust into a bizarre, inhospitable world far from home". Nope. Not for me.

ALL NEW X-MEN #1 & #2 - Bendis double-shipped. Two issues means we should see 1/3rd of a story in November. If #1 is discounted by 75% I'll give Bendis a shot to prove my assumption wrong, otherwise I'll pass.

FANTASTIC FOUR #1 - Matt Fraction? If deeply discounted I may give this one issue to change my pre-conceptions, but coming off Hickman, he has some mighty big shoes to fill.

FF #1 - "In the absence of the Fantastic Four, a substitute Four, hand-picked by the real deal--Ant-Man, Medusa, She-Hulk and Miss Thing"
Does not sound good to me. Just call this the Fantastic C-List and be done.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE #9 - Two scientists. Two giant egos. One wears a tank. One is a tank. Tony Stark and Bruce Banner are SCIENCE BROS!
Really? I cannot flee from that description fast enough.
Last edited by BobBretall on Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

DC

BEFORE WATCHMEN: NITE OWL #4
BEFORE WATCHMEN: OZYMANDIAS #4
BEFORE WATCHMEN: RORSCHACH #3
BEFORE WATCHMEN: DR. MANHATTAN #3
---------------------------
ACTION COMICS #14 (via Tanga)
BATMAN #14 (via Tanga)
JUSTICE LEAGUE #14 (via Tanga)
WONDER WOMAN #14 (via Tanga)
ALL-STAR WESTERN #14
ANIMAL MAN #14
AQUAMAN #14
BATMAN, INCORPORATED #5
BATWOMAN #14
BLUE BEETLE #14
DEMON KNIGHTS #14
THE FLASH #14
GREEN LANTERN #14
GREEN LANTERN CORPS #14
GREEN LANTERN: THE NEW GUARDIANS #14
I, VAMPIRE #14
JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #14
LOT 13 #2
THE PHANTOM STRANGER #2
SUPERGIRL #14
SUPERMAN #14
SWAMP THING #14
SWORD OF SORCERY #2
WORLDS’ FINEST #6
AMERICAN VAMPIRE #33
FABLES #123
FAIREST #9
SWEET TOOTH #39
Paul Nolan
Special Reviewer

Post by Paul Nolan »

BobBretall wrote: CAPTAIN AMERICA #1 - "Thrust into a bizarre, inhospitable world far from home". Nope. Not for me.
Reading that solicit just made me think of Prophet at Image.
BobBretall wrote: X-MEN: LEGACY #1 & #2 - Bendis double-shipped. Two issues means we should see 1/3rd of a story in November. If #1 is discounted by 75% I'll give Bendis a shot to prove my assumption wrong, otherwise I'll pass.
Legacy is the Si Spurrier penned series, you mean All New X-men?

Through-out all of Marvels Nov solicits I may try FF #1 as it's Allred and it's $2.99. other than that there's really nothing that excites me to try a new #1.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Paul Nolan wrote:
BobBretall wrote: X-MEN: LEGACY #1 & #2 - Bendis double-shipped. Two issues means we should see 1/3rd of a story in November. If #1 is discounted by 75% I'll give Bendis a shot to prove my assumption wrong, otherwise I'll pass.
Legacy is the Si Spurrier penned series, you mean All New X-men?
Yes, that is what I meant. I edited it above.

LEGACY is a book I have zero interest in, I wouldn't get it if it was 50 cents.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Aspen

This looks like it will be VERY different from the 1st series, more of a fantasy series focusing on the backstory of magic in the Charismagic world. I'm on the fence about this one, I'm going to need some more info.
CHARISMAGIC: THE DEATH PRINCESS #1
Explore the breathtaking world of Charismagic by journeying back to its ancient origins!
Orlana, spoken of in hush tones as the "Death Princess", rules over all who oppose her reign. Not by force, but through the most dangerous of all magical powers -- the ability to control minds! Under the Death Princess' shadow of dominance and fear, the humans of Earth find themselves at risk of their civilization falling completely under her rule forever! Until Kon, a young but powerful wizard finds himself on an unimaginable quest to break Orlana's curse on humanity, and set free those she wishes to forever hold under her spell!
I will be getting these, though:
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT: ASSASSINS #5
HOMECOMING #4
Last edited by BobBretall on Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Valiant

I've been loving the new Valiant, so I'm getting this:
SHADOWMAN #1
The next epic expansion of the Valiant Universe starts in this new ongoing series. There's a million dreams in the Big Easy. But now its worst nightmare is about to come true. As the forces of darkness prepare to claim New Orleans as their own, Jack Boniface must embrace the legacy he was born to uphold. As Shadowman, Jack is about to become the only thing that stands between his city and an army of unspeakable monstrosities from beyond the night. But is the mantle of Shadowman a blessing or a curse? And what is the true cost of his otherworldly power?
And everything else too:
ARCHER & ARMSTRONG #4
BLOODSHOT #5
HARBINGER #6
X-O MANOWAR #7
BadDeacon
Reviewer

Post by BadDeacon »

BobBretall wrote:Valiant

I've been loving the new Valiant, so I'm getting this:
SHADOWMAN #1
The next epic expansion of the Valiant Universe starts in this new ongoing series. There's a million dreams in the Big Easy. But now its worst nightmare is about to come true. As the forces of darkness prepare to claim New Orleans as their own, Jack Boniface must embrace the legacy he was born to uphold. As Shadowman, Jack is about to become the only thing that stands between his city and an army of unspeakable monstrosities from beyond the night. But is the mantle of Shadowman a blessing or a curse? And what is the true cost of his otherworldly power?
I'd be happy to record a clip for this one, though I might have to fight with you and/or Damien for it!

I can always record a clip for some of the other Valiant books I'm really digging.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

BadDeacon wrote: I'd be happy to record a clip for this one (Shadowman), though I might have to fight with you and/or Damien for it!

I can always record a clip for some of the other Valiant books I'm really digging.
I'll leave it to you, Sean.
IanG
Special Reviewer

Post by IanG »

I found these Previews Catalog PDF files recently. It's a full color Previews just like the real thing except it's in digital form. You could put it on your iPad. Here's a link.

I usually read it in hard copy because it's only $1.12 from DCBS. But it's nice to have a PDF file also, and you do a Find (Ctrl+F) which is helpful.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

IanG wrote:I found these Previews Catalog PDF files recently. It's a full color Previews just like the real thing except it's in digital form. You could put it on your iPad. Here's a link.
Wow! Handy!

Thanks for the detective work, Ian!!!
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

IanG wrote:I found these Previews Catalog PDF files recently. It's a full color Previews just like the real thing except it's in digital form. You could put it on your iPad. Here's a link.

I usually read it in hard copy because it's only $1.12 from DCBS. But it's nice to have a PDF file also, and you do a Find (Ctrl+F) which is helpful.
Very handy. Thanks for posting the link. I've never seen PDFs of the monthly Diamond Previews catalog before.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive