Previews Spotlight #040 (Feb->Apr): Fri Feb 11th: 5pm pac

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

I was going to jump back on the Incredible Hulk because of Dale Eaglesham. But now I won't. First, Marvel is putting out two Incredible Hulk issues a month besides the other Hulk title. Second, the storyline leads into a new spin-off mini-series.

I like the concept and the character of the Hulk. However, I don't like it so much to buy multiple books a month.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Added links for the following solicits in 1st post on this thread:

* Ape
* Bongo
* Dynamite
* Radical
* Red 5
* Zenoscope
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

HassanT wrote:I was going to jump back on the Incredible Hulk because of Dale Eaglesham. But now I won't. First, Marvel is putting out two Incredible Hulk issues a month besides the other Hulk title. Second, the storyline leads into a new spin-off mini-series.
You have a point that per month you're not saving $ if they drop the price from $3.99 to $2.99 but then start putting out 2 issues per month.

On the other hand, my main objection to the $3.99 was not the total $ I was spending but the value I was getting for the $ spent, so I don't personally have an issue with getting 2 issues for $2.99 each, as long as I like what is being done.

I also think putting Skaar in the Savage Land and putting Ka-Zar in the book is kind of cool (I've always liked Ka-Zar), so I'm willing to give that a try too.
comicm
Master Reviewer

Post by comicm »

HassanT wrote:I was going to jump back on the Incredible Hulk because of Dale Eaglesham. But now I won't. First, Marvel is putting out two Incredible Hulk issues a month besides the other Hulk title. Second, the storyline leads into a new spin-off mini-series.

I like the concept and the character of the Hulk. However, I don't like it so much to buy multiple books a month.
The last couple of solicits Marvel has several monthly titles coming out twice a month. This has me thinking about removing some titles from my pull list. I love eaglesham so I will continue to get Incredible Hulk
www.geekbrunchpodcast.com - Geek Brunch
www.dcnoisepodcast.com (both available on iTunes via the iTunes store.)
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

NOTICE: Previews call delayed by 1 week

The new Previews has been delayed in January. While it normally should hit the stands Wed Jan 26th, Diamond has released an announcement that it will not hit the stands until Wed Feb 2nd, so the call will now be Friday Feb 11th at 5pm Pacific / 6pm Mountain / 7pm Central / 8pm Eastern.
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

comicm wrote:

The last couple of solicits Marvel has several monthly titles coming out twice a month. This has me thinking about removing some titles from my pull list. I love eaglesham so I will continue to get Incredible Hulk
Yeah, this bothers me too. I mean look at April. How many comics are shipping at least twice that month?

I also decided to avoid Marvel annuals this year. It seems that their theme is crossovers, kinda like they did in the 90s.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

HassanT wrote: I also decided to avoid Marvel annuals this year. It seems that their theme is crossovers, kinda like they did in the 90s.
I'll get the ASM Annual, but none of the other 5 in the 1st 2 crossover story arcs they have started soliciting for.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Added links in 1st post on thread to:

IDW, Image, Top Cow, 12 Gauge, Avatar, Big Dog, Boom!
comicm
Master Reviewer

Post by comicm »

A lot of new Image #1's that seem really interesting to me.
www.geekbrunchpodcast.com - Geek Brunch
www.dcnoisepodcast.com (both available on iTunes via the iTunes store.)
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

I get the new GI Joe Cobra comic book. Hopefully this won't lead into 4 GI Joe comic books.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

ComicBookPage "picks of the Month" from Bob & John:

Dark Horse
DARK HORSE PRESENTS #1
SOLOMON KANE: RED SHADOWS #1 (of 4)

DC
ACTION COMICS #900
BATMAN INCORPORATED #6
SUPERMAN/BATMAN ANNUAL #5
FIRST WAVE SPECIAL #1
JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #50
TEEN TITANS #94

IDW
DOCTOR WHO: A FAIRYTALE LIFE #1 (OF 4)

BLUE ESTATE #1
NETHERWORLD #1 (OF 5)

Marvel
CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIGHTING AVENGER #1
SKAAR: KING OF THE SAVAGE LAND #1
INCREDIBLE HULK #626
S.H.I.E.L.D. INFINITY

Aspen - FATHOM (VOL 4) #0

Asylum Press - BLACK POWDER #1

Boom! - STAN LEE'S STARBORN #5

Fantagraphics - WALT DISNEY'S MICKEY MOUSE VOL. 1: “RACE TO DEATH VALLEY” HC

Red 5 - MOON GIRL #1
abysslord
Master Reviewer

Post by abysslord »

Is there anywhere to see a preview of Blue Estate? I found a preview of Netherworld, first 5 pages but they were B&W and unlettered.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

abysslord wrote:Is there anywhere to see a preview of Blue Estate? I found a preview of Netherworld, first 5 pages but they were B&W and unlettered.
Google is your friend. A search on:
"blue estate" +image +preview

Yielded this link:
http://www.previewsworld.com/public/shi ... estate.pdf

Links to 5-page PDF previews of 6 different Images #1s here:
* Super-Dinosaur
* Undying Love
* '68
* Blue Estate
* Green Wake
* Nonplayer
http://previewsworld.com/public/default ... 05255&ssd=
abysslord
Master Reviewer

Post by abysslord »

I guess I need to start using the '+'. I typed in 'blue estate image comic preview' and didn't get anything. That's pretty much worked for any other comic i wanted to see.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

BobBretall wrote: Links to 5-page PDF previews of 6 different Images #1s here:
* Super-Dinosaur
* Undying Love
* '68
* Blue Estate
* Green Wake
* Nonplayer
http://previewsworld.com/public/default ... 05255&ssd=
By the way, on reading all 6 of these previews, I have decided the following:

I had previously planned to get '68, Blue Estate, Nonplayer, Undying Love, the previews confirmed that I want to get these. I was really digging the art on Nonplayer.

I had planned to get Super Dinosaur, the Preview was just not doing it for me. I may still get it if there is a ridiculous DCBS discount (like 75%), but 50% off will not do it for me.

I had skipped Green Wake, but now I'll be getting it. I missed that it had Riley Rossmo art & I liked the Preview.