Surprised by Usagi Yojimbo

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

AndrewN
Fan

Surprised by Usagi Yojimbo

Post by AndrewN »

I've always tended to skip right past Usagi in Previews, despite Bob and John's praise in the podcasts. With the arrival of the huge special edition hardcover collection in this month's Previews and hearing yet more raves in various podcasts, I decided it was time to check it out.

I started reading some brief preview pages online, but there wasn't enough to grab me. It still looked like a bunch of anthropomorphic characters having adventures. During the week I picked up issues 113 through 116 from the back issue bins at my LCS (they didn't have any on the racks), and blew threw them pretty quick. After reading that bunch, I'm keen for more, and ordered the hardcover this month!

While the art seems simplistic, there's actually a fair bit of detail in most panels, and something about the stories pulled me in. Perhaps it's the sense of mystery, or the blend of the mundane with samurai action? There seems to be a deeper meaning behind it all, and there was quite a shocker in one of these issues. It's definitely not the cutesy animal book I thought it was before I started reading!

If you haven't yet checked it out, I highly recommend picking up a few back issues to see if it grabs you. There's some good stuff here, and it'd be a pity to miss out.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Re: Surprised by Usagi Yojimbo

Post by BobBretall »

AndrewN wrote: While the art seems simplistic, there's actually a fair bit of detail in most panels, and something about the stories pulled me in.
That's what I like about Sakai's art, the deceptively simple linework delineates exactly what is needed to flesh out the world and there's actually a lot of detail within that economy of lines.

AndrewN wrote: Perhaps it's the sense of mystery, or the blend of the mundane with samurai action? There seems to be a deeper meaning behind it all, and there was quite a shocker in one of these issues. It's definitely not the cutesy animal book I thought it was before I started reading!
I like that it's a very rich world that's a few degrees off from feudal Japan, but with a LOT of actual real-world historical accuracy thrown in. It's a great samurai story where the protagonists just happen to be anthropomorphic.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

The simplistic art style in Usagi is a bit misleading given the "realism" of the story. I find that the story pulls me in quickly and effectively. I've got the hardcover collection on order and Things From Another World has a number of the trades at a 70% discount right now. I ordered v12 to v23 yesterday at an amazing price.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
AndrewN
Fan

Post by AndrewN »

Thanks for the tip! I just ordered volumes 12-23, plus the Art of Usagi Yojimbo and the Yokai GN. They're not much more than the cost of a single issue!
killyrcomics
Visitor

Post by killyrcomics »

Yeah, ditto what Bob and John said. The at first glance simplicity of the art hides the subtle genius of Usagi Yojimbo. Realizing how few readers this book actually has, it makes me wonder how this work will be viewed in 25 or 30 years. Will it just fade into obscurity, or will it one day get its due.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

killyrcomics wrote:Yeah, ditto what Bob and John said. The at first glance simplicity of the art hides the subtle genius of Usagi Yojimbo. Realizing how few readers this book actually has, it makes me wonder how this work will be viewed in 25 or 30 years. Will it just fade into obscurity, or will it one day get its due.
Usagi is already 25 years old. Hopefully more people will someday take notice of it.
onemaddog
Contributor

Post by onemaddog »

I just placed an order for the Special Edition. Looking forward to reading this one when it ships in October.
ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

BobBretall wrote:
AndrewN wrote: While the art seems simplistic, there's actually a fair bit of detail in most panels, and something about the stories pulled me in.
That's what I like about Sakai's art, the deceptively simple linework delineates exactly what is needed to flesh out the world and there's actually a lot of detail within that economy of lines.

AndrewN wrote: Perhaps it's the sense of mystery, or the blend of the mundane with samurai action? There seems to be a deeper meaning behind it all, and there was quite a shocker in one of these issues. It's definitely not the cutesy animal book I thought it was before I started reading!
I like that it's a very rich world that's a few degrees off from feudal Japan, but with a LOT of actual real-world historical accuracy thrown in. It's a great samurai story where the protagonists just happen to be anthropomorphic.
I've heard about this book for years, but never tried it out until I got the $1 first issue from Dark Horse (or whomever publishes it, I forget). I thought it was OK, but didn't really see anything that blew me away. I certainly wasn't motivated to run out to check more out (but I wouldn't count that out either).

So I guess my question is: what's the best way you really check this series out? Does it get better and better over time? Is there a "classic" great storyline to check out, that if I'm not bowled over, it's not for me?
What do you recommend?

e
L nny
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!
killyrcomics
Visitor

Post by killyrcomics »

ctowner1 wrote: I've heard about this book for years, but never tried it out until I got the $1 first issue from Dark Horse (or whomever publishes it, I forget). I thought it was OK, but didn't really see anything that blew me away. I certainly wasn't motivated to run out to check more out (but I wouldn't count that out either).

So I guess my question is: what's the best way you really check this series out? Does it get better and better over time? Is there a "classic" great storyline to check out, that if I'm not bowled over, it's not for me?
What do you recommend?

e
L nny
I really feel the book is more of a slow burn. You might try reading a whole trade. "Grasscutter" (vol. 12, I think) is considered one of the classic storylines and was nominated for some industry awards.

Then again, it may not be for you. I feel it is one of those works that, when taken in its totatlity, will be looked on as historically significant. It may be greater than the sum of its parts.
ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

killyrcomics wrote:
ctowner1 wrote: I've heard about this book for years, but never tried it out until I got the $1 first issue from Dark Horse (or whomever publishes it, I forget). I thought it was OK, but didn't really see anything that blew me away. I certainly wasn't motivated to run out to check more out (but I wouldn't count that out either).

What do you recommend?

e
L nny
I really feel the book is more of a slow burn. You might try reading a whole trade. "Grasscutter" (vol. 12, I think) is considered one of the classic storylines and was nominated for some industry awards.

Then again, it may not be for you. I feel it is one of those works that, when taken in its totatlity, will be looked on as historically significant. It may be greater than the sum of its parts.
Is there a big difference in the quality of writing/art between, say, volumes 1-7, and volume 12? I'm tempted to buy that big 7 tpb omnibus that's in the Sept. previews for $50 - but I'm a bit hesitant b/c I don't know if I'll like it - especially if the book improves over time, and the 1st 7 tpb's aren't as good as the later ones. what do you think?

e
L nny
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

ctowner1 wrote: Is there a big difference in the quality of writing/art between, say, volumes 1-7, and volume 12? I'm tempted to buy that big 7 tpb omnibus that's in the Sept. previews for $50 - but I'm a bit hesitant b/c I don't know if I'll like it - especially if the book improves over time, and the 1st 7 tpb's aren't as good as the later ones. what do you think?

e
L nny
The art style is the same between the first issue and the current stuff. For me, it is the accumulation of story over the course of a few issues that makes the title great. So, in that respect, it improves over time. But that is over reading time, not writing time. In other words, while Stan Sakai has no doubt improved his craft over the years, he started Usagi as a very solid and talented creator.

Read a couple of the recent issues and see what you think. If you like them, get the hardcover. If not, don't.
killyrcomics
Visitor

Post by killyrcomics »

ctowner1 wrote:
Is there a big difference in the quality of writing/art between, say, volumes 1-7, and volume 12? I'm tempted to buy that big 7 tpb omnibus that's in the Sept. previews for $50 - but I'm a bit hesitant b/c I don't know if I'll like it - especially if the book improves over time, and the 1st 7 tpb's aren't as good as the later ones. what do you think?

e
L nny
I don't see a big difference. It's not the same situation as a book like Cerebus where Dave Sim started out pretty rough and slowly turned into a master cartoonist. Stan Sakai has been killing it since the beginning. I'm sure he has improved over the last 25 years, but it has been a lot more subtle. The $50 omnibus is a darn good deal. I'm not sure you could pick up the first 7 tpbs for much cheaper since Fantagraphics doesn't usually discount their stuff as heavily as other publishers.
AndrewN
Fan

Post by AndrewN »

I definitely think you need to read more than one issue to get drawn into it. The first one I read was decent, but it wasn't until I'd read four in a row that I felt compelled to order that omnibus and a bunch of trades. Your best bet would be to pick up a recommended trade first, or a bunch of back issues.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

killyrcomics wrote: Stan Sakai has been killing it since the beginning. I'm sure he has improved over the last 25 years, but it has been a lot more subtle. The $50 omnibus is a darn good deal. I'm not sure you could pick up the first 7 tpbs for much cheaper since Fantagraphics doesn't usually discount their stuff as heavily as other publishers.
Agreed. If you buy from DCBS, you're getting 7 trades for $50, which is $7.14 each. That's less than I paid for those trades when they came out and you're getting a nice slipcased HC.
ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

BobBretall wrote:
killyrcomics wrote: Stan Sakai has been killing it since the beginning. I'm sure he has improved over the last 25 years, but it has been a lot more subtle. The $50 omnibus is a darn good deal. I'm not sure you could pick up the first 7 tpbs for much cheaper since Fantagraphics doesn't usually discount their stuff as heavily as other publishers.
Agreed. If you buy from DCBS, you're getting 7 trades for $50, which is $7.14 each. That's less than I paid for those trades when they came out and you're getting a nice slipcased HC.
It's tempting..but $50, even if it's an amazing deal, is a bit to spend on a book you don't know if you'll like. I guess perhaps I'll try to pick some up at NYCC this week, and if I'm hooked, then try to latch onto the big HC

(it was in last month's DCBS. how long does DCBS keep their prices on upcoming books? is it all the way up to the date of release? or before then? I know I've added books to my order that I saw were coming out the following week and they let me have those at the discounted price. is that true for bigger ticket items, too?).

e
L nny
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!