Legion of Super Heroes #50

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

Skyhawke
Reviewer

Legion of Super Heroes #50

Post by Skyhawke »

Man did we get ripped off as fans. I would of been better off dropping this title as soon as I heard they were canceling this title and original Legion was the direction DC wanted to go back to. The result would of been the same story wise for me. So many plot threads were left hanging that it makes Claremont look like a cohesive writer but we will never know how these get resolved because this Legion is ultimately is getting shelved.

Also for a big huge battle this was suppose to be with all the Legionaries I guess can be resolved by 8 people with really only Brainac 5 and Invisible Kid saving the day.

Bleh!
Wood
Special Reviewer

Re: Legion of Super Heroes #50

Post by Wood »

Skyhawke wrote:Man did we get ripped off as fans. I would of been better off dropping this title as soon as I heard they were canceling this title and original Legion was the direction DC wanted to go back to. The result would of been the same story wise for me. So many plot threads were left hanging that it makes Claremont look like a cohesive writer but we will never know how these get resolved because this Legion is ultimately is getting shelved.

Also for a big huge battle this was suppose to be with all the Legionaries I guess can be resolved by 8 people with really only Brainac 5 and Invisible Kid saving the day.

Bleh!
I had never read an ongoing Legion book before mainly because of the daunting nature of their history. Just didn't know how much of what was written before was considered "cannon" or not, and I just couldn't find a spot to jump in. Then, when Shooter was brought back, I thought I would give it a try. The run started off fine, and I was ready to enjoy the series. But it quickly went off the rails and, as you said, ended with such a disappointing thud.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

I think DC pulled the rug out from under Shooter (in canceling the series with #50) and he had to wrap up his storytelling in an abbreviated fashion. Had the series not been canceled, I suspect the ending would have played out differently.

Many people did not like Shooter's storytelling, but some did (I know I was enjoying his run immensely). For me, it's just a shame that he was not able to finish what he started in the time that it would have taken, but I can understand the business decision DC felt it had to make if fans in general were not embracing the series.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Shooter did what he could in the space he had. Was it a perfect ending? Of course not. But he was expecting to have a few more issues to tell it in. It was a decent enough issue to give some sense of closure to the series but I agree it could have been better.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
Skyhawke
Reviewer

Post by Skyhawke »

Should of mention this in part of my rant, but #50 wasn't even written by Shooter. I was enjoying his run, which why I made the decision to stick with it even after I heard the series was canceled.

Number 50 was written by Justin Thyme. This is a pun pseudonym that stands for "Just in Time". This is a collaboration of any number of artist and inkers that help get books out on time.

So imagine the story we got was cobbled together from whatever notes editor Mike Marts had and passed along.

By the way, here was the solicitation.

THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #50
Written by Jim Shooter
Art and cover by Francis Manapul & Livesay
It’s the final issue! The climactic conclusion of the Universal Annihilation War is here and every Legionnaire, every reservist and even the United Planets’ Young Heroes battle to save existence. Also featuring the return of Cosmic Boy, the death of a longtime Legionaire and a gorgeous wraparound cover!
FINAL ISSUE On sale January 28 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Skyhawke wrote: Number 50 was written by Justin Thyme. This is a pun pseudonym that stands for "Just in Time". This is a collaboration of any number of artist and inkers that help get books out on time.
I suspect this is kind of like a crappy film being directed by Alan Smithee.

Shooter didn't want his name on the aborted travesty that resulted from his run being prematurely ended and not allow to wrap the story properly.
HipHopHead
Reviewer

Post by HipHopHead »

I would like to see Shooter resurrect the Valiant Universe. It is long overdue, but given the current economics, it may not be the ideal time.
Saweez
Visitor

Post by Saweez »

I agree that this last issue was underwhelming. It was so cobbled together it was pretty painful to read. I also was really enjoying what Shooter was doing and was sorry to see it come to an end. You could tell he had a lot of far reaching plot lines he was laying for the future, that sadly will not come to pass.

Hopefully the next Legion series will be just as enjoyable and will have better sales numbers.
Darth Kramer
Contributor

Post by Darth Kramer »

My thought is that maybe there should have been some more story development early on instead of having the first four issues being pretty much identical in my mind.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

For what little it might be worth, DC is making the issues returnable for retailers...
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive