What Did you get this week (11/12)?

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Flash77 wrote: I ended of getting a copy of Gigantic because of Remender's writing. Haven't read it yet...was it good?
I liked it. A LOT.

We review it in the CBP episode that will go up on Monday.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

BobBretall wrote:
Flash77 wrote: I ended of getting a copy of Gigantic because of Remender's writing. Haven't read it yet...was it good?
I liked it. A LOT.

I also enjoyed it very much. It was probably my favorite thing from Remender so far.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

johnmayo wrote:
BobBretall wrote:
I liked it. A LOT.

I also enjoyed it very much. It was probably my favorite thing from Remender so far.
More than Fear Agent? I had a hard time following this in the art. I think I'll pass on the next few issues, and if it takes off, I'll pick it up in trade.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Trev wrote:
johnmayo wrote:
BobBretall wrote: I liked it. A LOT.

More than Fear Agent? I had a hard time following this in the art. I think I'll pass on the next few issues, and if it takes off, I'll pick it up in trade.
While I agree that the art is a bit clearer in Fear Agent, I liked the story a bit more in Gigantic. I expect the art to be less chaotic as the story gets less chaotic. Both are good but this was a fun opening to something like a summer blockbuster movie while Fear Agent is more like a good television show.
zack kruse
Reviewer

Post by zack kruse »

indies
2008 ComicGeekSpeak Listener Anthology *Special Discount*
CLEANERS #1 (OF 4)
GALVESTON #1 CVR B
GIGANTIC #1

marvel
ELEKTRA BY FRANK MILLER OMNIBUS HC DM ED
SPIDER-MAN LOVES MARY JANE SEASON 2 #4
WOLVERINE #69

dc
ACTION COMICS #871
BATMAN CACOPHONY #1
DETECTIVE COMICS #850
JSA KINGDOM COME SPECIAL SUPERMAN
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

zack kruse wrote:
marvel
WOLVERINE #69
The Elektra stories in that Omnibus is really good stuff. I have them in hardcover already, which is why I passed on that collection.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Trev wrote: More than Fear Agent? I had a hard time following this in the art. I think I'll pass on the next few issues, and if it takes off, I'll pick it up in trade.
This is a fair criticism and one I address directly in the episode that airs tomorrow. I basically compare it to the fast-edits that happen in action movie "big action scenes". Think of the rooftop chase at the beginning of Quantum of Solace, or many of the scenes in Transformers. It's often similarly difficult to directly follow specific details the action, but a frenetic pace & mood are established by this style, and that may have been what they were going for in the art in those sequences.

BTW, I thought the art on the non-robot-battle pages (esp. p. 4-5) was very nice indeed.
zack kruse
Reviewer

Post by zack kruse »

HassanT wrote:
zack kruse wrote:
marvel
WOLVERINE #69
The Elektra stories in that Omnibus is really good stuff. I have them in hardcover already, which is why I passed on that collection.
Yeah, I have most of the issues and the graphic novel, and the price was pretty steep for the amount of content that was in there--but because I love the Miller stuff so much, I thought it was worth it. Plus it's a durable and convenient way to re-read it all.
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

zack kruse wrote:
HassanT wrote:
zack kruse wrote:
marvel
WOLVERINE #69
Yeah, I have most of the issues and the graphic novel, and the price was pretty steep for the amount of content that was in there--but because I love the Miller stuff so much, I thought it was worth it. Plus it's a durable and convenient way to re-read it all.
I am sucker for Daredevil. I purchased both Frank Miller Daredevil Omnibi even though I had the stories in trades already. Let me know if the extras are cool or not.
IanG
Special Reviewer

Post by IanG »

Flash77 wrote:
I ended of getting a copy of Gigantic because of Remender's writing. Haven't read it yet...was it good?
A good read, I really enjoyed it. Gigantic is the first thing I've read from Rick Remender. I like how he added a bit of humor to it. I'll definitely continue with the series. I'm interested to see what Bob and John have to say about it on their podcast.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

FYI, Wingman #1 was originally solicited as the first of a three issue miniseries. I haven't read it yet but based on the thickness of it and the "one shot" text on the cover, I think they bit the bullet and put all three issues of content out in the single issue at the original $3.50 cover price.

Instead of sticking it to the readers and retailers by only publishing the first third of a story, it looks like *they* took their financial lumps on the series.

If so, that was a very classy thing for them to do. No doubt Bob and I will discuss this when we talk about the comic on the next Weekly Comics Spotlight.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

johnmayo wrote: If so, that was a very classy thing for them to do. No doubt Bob and I will discuss this when we talk about the comic on the next Weekly Comics Spotlight.
I flipped through it last night, and the art is REALLY weak. This thing better have a stellar story to compensate.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

BobBretall wrote:
johnmayo wrote: If so, that was a very classy thing for them to do. No doubt Bob and I will discuss this when we talk about the comic on the next Weekly Comics Spotlight.
I flipped through it last night, and the art is REALLY weak. This thing better have a stellar story to compensate.
I just took a really quick flip through it and, yeah, the art is very weak from what little I saw. Not a good sign.