What are your top 10 favorite books?

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

JessieGarrett
Visitor

Post by JessieGarrett »

Can I say CONTRACT 10 times
:lol:
PREVIEW HERE:
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

JessieGarrett wrote:Can I say CONTRACT 10 times
No. But you can say CONTRACT & 9 other books!
Lord Shaper
Special Reviewer

Post by Lord Shaper »

JLAFan wrote:
JessieGarrett wrote:Can I say CONTRACT 10 times
No. But you can say CONTRACT & 9 other books!
Contract and 9 other covers of Contract?
aSh
Passerby

Post by aSh »

1. Fear Agent
2. Daredevil
3. JSA
4. Captain America
5. Green Lantern
6. Action Comics
7. Buffy
8. Criminal
9. Ultimate Spider-man
10. Powers
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

John/ Bob,

I loved the Top Ten Comics podcast episode. It was a great discussion that you guys had.

Hassan
GlenQuagmire
Passerby

Post by GlenQuagmire »

Great show indeed. I'm actually someone who has already cut his titles to about 10 a month (well, not counting minis like Final Crisis). I might have been 20 at my height, which was when Crossgen was around and I was still collecting Marvel.

So my 10:

Justice League of America
Justice Society of America
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Action Comics
Superman/Batman
Teen Titans
Tiny Titans
Booster Gold
Fables

IIRC, John had six or seven of these 10 in his hypothetical cutdown list. Now I don't feel bad that I'm not reading the other 190 titles John reads. :)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

GlenQuagmire wrote:Great show indeed. I'm actually someone who has already cut his titles to about 10 a month (well, not counting minis like Final Crisis). I might have been 20 at my height, which was when Crossgen was around and I was still collecting Marvel.

So my 10:

Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Action Comics
Superman/Batman
Teen Titans
Tiny Titans
Booster Gold
Fables

IIRC, John had six or seven of these 10 in his hypothetical cutdown list. Now I don't feel bad that I'm not reading the other 190 titles John reads. :)

Virtually all of those are great picks but I'm kind of surprised to see Tiny Titans on the list. I just don't get the point of that title.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
HawkeyeGuy
Visitor

Top 10

Post by HawkeyeGuy »

It took me a while but I think I have my first post ready:

All Ages

Amelia Rules - Best all ages book when it comes out.
PS238 - Most reliable all ages book. This book does not miss a month.
Sabrina the Teenage Witch - Good one issue stories that are also carrying the larger story forward.

Marvel

New Avengers - Complete run back to 12 of the original
Criminal - Choosing Brubakers "indie" over his mainstream

DC

Action - Hope I get enough story with the interlocking series but Johns got me with the Legion
Justice Society of America - I love team books and I love Johns. 'Nuff said.
Ex Machina - Where else can I get BKV?

Non "Big Two"

Walking Dead - I need me a Kirkman fix
Echo - I am really enjoying this book. I missed SIP so this is my chance

In the months that Amelia Rules is not out, I would have Proof and Jonah Hex in a death match for my 10th book.

I am ready for some harassment with Sabrina but you don't know what you are missing.

Kevin
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Re: Top 10

Post by BobBretall »

HawkeyeGuy wrote: I am ready for some harassment with Sabrina but you don't know what you are missing.
I'm not about to knock you for enjoying a book that's good enough to be in your top 10, but I'd be curious for you to give a more detailed review of Sabrina detailed what you love so much about it.

From what I've see of it in Previews, they seems to have gone with an art style that differentiates it from the rest of the Archie line. The style seems kind of reminiscent with Chynna Clugston-Major's "Blue Monday" stuff.
HawkeyeGuy
Visitor

Sabrina the Teenage Witch - Detailed Review

Post by HawkeyeGuy »

I initially picked up Sabrina because I wanted something I could read to my daughters who are currently 6 and 3. I had some knowledge of the premise because I had seen some episodes of the television series. I read in Comic Shop News that Tania Del Rio, who had won a prize in a manga contest, was going to take over the series with issue 58 (now up to issue 96). The series was going to have a more "manga-esque" feel.

Tania Del Rio came in and redesigned the characters for her art style. She began an emphasis on the magic vs. mortal realm and brought in a foil for Harvey, her mortal world love interest. Shinji became a boyfriend possibility from the magic realm. The idea that was slowly introduced and has been built upon is that the tree that supplies magic for that world is dying and the queen of the magic realm is hiding it from everybody. Sabrina realizes that she has some unique magical abilities and finds out about the problem with the tree and becomes embroiled in a plot to expose the problems in the magical world. There is a story for my girls to enjoy and also a larger more involved story arc if you get every issue.

I like that I can read each issue individually and there is enough story that I can generally catch up quickly and there is at least a plot point or story element introduced in that issue that is wrapped up in that issue.

I like that Sabrina is not dark and grim and gritty and is a change of pace from a lot of what I read. I think one of the guys from Raging Bullets would call it a "palate cleanser".

The price is appealing at $2.25. The creative team has been consistent with story and pencils by Tania Del Rio with some fill-in artists lately but Tania still doing the story. She has had time to introduce and then follow-up on plot threads. There is a letters page in most every issue that is answered by the cat Salem so you get letters from younger kids up to about 12-14.

Kevin

(I am looking for my Future Comics issue but I started a migration to drawer boxes and my collection is in even worse disarray than usual)
GlenQuagmire
Passerby

Post by GlenQuagmire »

johnmayo wrote:
GlenQuagmire wrote:Great show indeed. I'm actually someone who has already cut his titles to about 10 a month (well, not counting minis like Final Crisis). I might have been 20 at my height, which was when Crossgen was around and I was still collecting Marvel.

So my 10:

Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Action Comics
Superman/Batman
Teen Titans
Tiny Titans
Booster Gold
Fables

Virtually all of those are great picks but I'm kind of surprised to see Tiny Titans on the list. I just don't get the point of that title.
I'm surprised too, since I usually like a meatier read, and this takes far less than 10 minutes. But the price is right ($2.25), my stepdaughter reads it too, and the laughs are simple, yet usually worthwhile.
Terry
Fan

Post by Terry »

1. Archie
2. Archie & Friends
3. Jughead
4. Uncanny X-Men
5. Betty & Veronica
6. Ghost Rider
7. Wolverine
8. Betty
9. Cable
10. Veronica
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Terry wrote:1. Archie
2. Archie & Friends
3. Jughead
4. Uncanny X-Men
5. Betty & Veronica
6. Ghost Rider
7. Wolverine
8. Betty
9. Cable
10. Veronica
Interesting mix of titles. Are you getting the Archie titles for yourself or for a child?
Terry
Fan

Post by Terry »

Both hopefully. I read them and save them all, maybe my kid will read them eventually. He's way too young now though.

I had an epiphany one day while reading some incoherent issue of Amazons Attack! I said to myself, "what is this? Why am I reading it?" So now I just buy stuff that I liked when I was 12 and don't worry about anything else. Basically, Archie, the X-books and Ghost Rider.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Terry wrote:Both hopefully. I read them and save them all, maybe my kid will read them eventually. He's way too young now though.

I had an epiphany one day while reading some incoherent issue of Amazons Attack! I said to myself, "what is this? Why am I reading it?" So now I just buy stuff that I liked when I was 12 and don't worry about anything else. Basically, Archie, the X-books and Ghost Rider.
That's cool. It just seemed a bit unusual to see Archie and Ghost Rider on the same top ten list. Often that is a sign of a parent getting comics for them and some for a child. But I can see the appeal of the Archie line. The stories in those are much more accessible than many super-hero titles.