LET'S TALK: Valiant

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

Perry
Special Reviewer

Re: LET'S TALK: Valiant

Post by Perry »

I agree with both of the last posts about the value of an additional Valiant comic. I am not mad that I am getting an extra HARBINGER issue, I just don't want them to start going the way of 'another' publisher *cough, cough, Marvel, cough* and start pumping out issues just to pump out issues. I never want to see a .point issue or anything like that.

Again, just bring back the annuals
8)
BadDeacon
Reviewer

Post by BadDeacon »

Perry wrote:I would rather Valiant done an annual or some such and stayed away from the whole "zero issue" thing. Whats wrong with companies having "specials"? Remember those?

Yes, nit-picking, as it is essentially the same thing, I know. But the closer Valiant gets to doing what other companies do, the more scared I become.
:cry:
Zero issues are about as "Valiant" as it gets. The O.G. Valiant essentially invented the zero issue back in 1991. There may have been a random "zero" issue published by some tiny publisher here or there beforehand, but Valiant was the first substantial publisher to have a zero issue, as far as I recall.

Valiant isn't getting closer to doing what other publishers do, every other publisher got closer to what Valiant did ;)

It is a bit cliche now to have a zero issue, but Valiant invented that cliche.
Perry
Special Reviewer

Post by Perry »

And it didn't end well for them. :wink:

I know what you're saying. Still no need for 'em.
GET OFF MY LAWN!!!
[/old man rant]

:D
BadDeacon
Reviewer

Post by BadDeacon »

Perry wrote:And it didn't end well for them. :wink:

I know what you're saying. Still no need for 'em.
GET OFF MY LAWN!!!
[/old man rant]

:D
And cut your hair and get a job!

:) :D
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Dr. Mirage Lives Again in SHADOWMAN #5
The Associated Press announced this week that Dr. Mirage, Valiant’s preeminent psychic investigator and supernatural hero, will debut this Wednesday in Shadowman #5 in a new incarnation created by writer Justin Jordan and co-writer/artist Patrick Zircher!

and another "blast from the Valiant past....
HARBINGER WARS Calls in the...H.A.R.D. Corps!

Enough is enough. This June, the H.A.R.D. Corps hit back in Harbinger Wars #3 by Joshua Dysart, Duane Swierczysnki, and Clayton Henry!
stardog
Reviewer

Post by stardog »

I love the way Valiant is rolling out these new/old characters. I read some Valiant back in the day, but wasn't a huge fan where I couldn't wait to see these characters again. It's just the way they're using the characters where they're integral parts of the stories they appear in as opposed to appearing just to lead to a new series the next month. You get to know and like the characters, and it only creates more anticipation for when they eventually do get their own series. I want Eternal Warrior and Ninjak books, where when DC and Marvel announce a series now it's usually "Well, I'll try it" at best.
BadDeacon
Reviewer

Post by BadDeacon »

You brought up something pretty interesting that I didn't really think about till now, which is how all of these guest appearances seem to fit really naturally into the books they show up in.

The second arc of X-O Manowar was arguably about Ninjak as much, if not moreso, than it was about Aric, and the second arc of A&A is moreso about Eternal Warrior and the Geomancer than it is about Archer and Armstrong. It's pretty interesting that they've been able to dedicate this much time to characters other than the title character, and make it work.
BadDeacon
Reviewer

Post by BadDeacon »

All the back issues of Harbinger and Bloodshot are on sale right now at Comixology for 99 cents each.

If you've been thinking about hopping on, now's the time. I highly recommend Harbinger.
the1captain
Reviewer

Post by the1captain »

BadDeacon wrote:All the back issues of Harbinger and Bloodshot are on sale right now at Comixology for 99 cents each.

If you've been thinking about hopping on, now's the time. I highly recommend Harbinger.
This was a nice surprise for me. I am usually a month or 2 behind on Valiant as I wait for the dollar drop on Comixology. Out of the ones on sale I only nee one from each series. But still a very nice money savings for me.

One thing I noticed. I know this is nitpicking. But I was surprised Harbringer #0 wasn't on sale. From what I've read so far it sounds like Harbinger Wars will deal a lot with Harada's past and therefore appears to tie into #0.
BadDeacon
Reviewer

Post by BadDeacon »

the1captain wrote:One thing I noticed. I know this is nitpicking. But I was surprised Harbringer #0 wasn't on sale. From what I've read so far it sounds like Harbinger Wars will deal a lot with Harada's past and therefore appears to tie into #0.
I noticed that too, I was hoping it would be on sale also. I loaded up on all of them, just so I have them on easy digital access.

Harbinger zero focused a lot on Harada's childhood, and on what was happening right before issue 1 of Harbinger. I get the impression from solicits and previews that Harbinger Wars will focus on events from when Harada was middle-aged. Maybe it won't be too relevant? We'll see though.
the1captain
Reviewer

Post by the1captain »

BadDeacon wrote:
the1captain wrote:One thing I noticed. I know this is nitpicking. But I was surprised Harbringer #0 wasn't on sale. From what I've read so far it sounds like Harbinger Wars will deal a lot with Harada's past and therefore appears to tie into #0.
I noticed that too, I was hoping it would be on sale also. I loaded up on all of them, just so I have them on easy digital access.

Harbinger zero focused a lot on Harada's childhood, and on what was happening right before issue 1 of Harbinger. I get the impression from solicits and previews that Harbinger Wars will focus on events from when Harada was middle-aged. Maybe it won't be too relevant? We'll see though.
One bad side affect of waiting for the price drop and then catching up is I'm currently 3 episodes behind on the great OTV podcast!
Perry
Special Reviewer

Post by Perry »

Yay !! Shadowman movie in the works. Written by JMS.

CLICK

I know JMS may have his detractors, with good reasoning, but I have always enjoyed his writing and his screenplay work.

This is a huge step/risk for Valiant and if they pull it off and not end up making a Spawn II, I will be very happy for them.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Perry wrote:Yay !! Shadowman movie in the works. Written by JMS.

CLICK

I know JMS may have his detractors, with good reasoning, but I have always enjoyed his writing and his screenplay work.

This is a huge step/risk for Valiant and if they pull it off and not end up making a Spawn II, I will be very happy for them.
Interesting choice. I think Shadowman is a bit risky as a "Hollywood friendly" title, what with the demons & shadow realms & stuff. I'd be worried about getting a Constantine quality movie, some Hollywood exec could really lame the movie up.

Archer & Armstrong would be easier to do, regular looking guys, action, etc.

They could do Bloodshot if they played up the self-healing badass & just dressed him like a regular action hero that's hard to damage.

Harbinger would be cool if they did it in the vein of Chronicle (not with the hand-held camera device, but with the general tone/attitude towards the powers & their use).

X-O would be the most difficult to do right.
Perry
Special Reviewer

Post by Perry »

BobBretall wrote: I'd be worried about getting a Constantine quality movie ...
Ah yes, a much better (and more related) example of my fear 8)
BadDeacon
Reviewer

Post by BadDeacon »

the1captain wrote:One bad side affect of waiting for the price drop and then catching up is I'm currently 3 episodes behind on the great OTV podcast!
Quick! To the listenerie!

Glad you like it, thanks ;)