DC cancels more titles

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

fudd71
Master Reviewer

DC cancels more titles

Post by fudd71 »

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/02/07/ ... nd-team-7/

Personally the book I will miss the most is Ravagers, I was really enjoying that book.

It also seems that DC is not giving titles as much time as it once was. Sword and Sorcery and Team7 were barely given a chance it seems.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Re: DC cancels more titles

Post by BobBretall »

The only one of the cancelled titles I was reading is Sword of Sorcery.....

I guess I'm not surprised, DC readers have voted, and the vote is "Don't give me stuff that is not super-heroes"

Sword of Sorcery (2012) 3 13,751
Perry
Special Reviewer

Post by Perry »

BobBretall wrote: I guess I'm not surprised, DC readers have voted, and the vote is "Don't give me stuff that is not super-heroes"
So true, Bob. Sadly. Same with Marvel. Kinda funny when a lot of their titles they published early on were not super-heroes and geared more toward horror, sci-fi or love story types. (man I am really missing EC now). I guess once we got a good taste of people in tights, it was over.
spid
Special Reviewer

Post by spid »

I still need to read my copy of Threshold #1, but right now I am down to two possibly three titles from DC monthly after these cancellations.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Perry wrote:
BobBretall wrote: I guess I'm not surprised, DC readers have voted, and the vote is "Don't give me stuff that is not super-heroes"
So true, Bob. Sadly. Same with Marvel. Kinda funny when a lot of their titles they published early on were not super-heroes and geared more toward horror, sci-fi or love story types. (man I am really missing EC now). I guess once we got a good taste of people in tights, it was over.
Yeah, my earliest DC "favorite" title was Warlord, so I have a history of liking stuff off the "super-hero trail".

In Marvel, after a few years of Spider-Man I was liking Conan, Tomb of Dracula, Werewolf by Night, Son of Satan, and LOTs of cool different stuff.
boshuda
Special Reviewer

Post by boshuda »

I think we can get more original, better, non-superhero content from other publishers. Image has something for every single, thinking, English-reading human being. Dark Horse and IDW do licensed characters better. Avatar and others push the envelope more than DC or Marvel would ever even contemplate.

Hopefully this will sink in at Marvel and DC and they can focus on making better superhero comics and stop trying to do so many things.
Paul Nolan
Special Reviewer

Post by Paul Nolan »

boshuda wrote:I think we can get more original, better, non-superhero content from other publishers. Image has something for every single, thinking, English-reading human being. Dark Horse and IDW do licensed characters better. Avatar and others push the envelope more than DC or Marvel would ever even contemplate.

Hopefully this will sink in at Marvel and DC and they can focus on making better superhero comics and stop trying to do so many things.
I think we can, in a lot of cases, get better original Superhero content from other publishers too.

Mainly due to the lack of editorial interference.
boshuda
Special Reviewer

Post by boshuda »

Paul Nolan wrote: I think we can, in a lot of cases, get better original Superhero content from other publishers too.

Mainly due to the lack of editorial interference.
Yeah, possibly. I enjoy Invincible quite a bit, and Hypernaturals too. But they're not Spider-Man or the X-Men.
Perry
Special Reviewer

Post by Perry »

BobBretall wrote: Yeah, my earliest DC "favorite" title was Warlord, so I have a history of liking stuff off the "super-hero trail".
Ya know, I have never read that. Seems odd for as old as I am (feel) but I really need to check into that series. I always seen it when I was getting my books from the spinner rack, but always ended up leaving it behind. Not sure why as I like Grell's art and I like those types of story settings.

Much like one of my favorite cartoons Thundarr!! (For those not familiar CLICK)
:D

BobBretall wrote: In Marvel, after a few years of Spider-Man I was liking Conan, Tomb of Dracula, Werewolf by Night, Son of Satan, and LOTs of cool different stuff.
Loved the oddities found in Damien's Hell when he would drop by. Man that was fun panel to panel viewing. Conan goes with-out saying how great that was. Tomb and Werewolf ... wow, love it. I even liked those western reprints of Kid Cot ... and ... Rawhide Kid ... I think?
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

boshuda wrote:I think we can get more original, better, non-superhero content from other publishers. Image has something for every single, thinking, English-reading human being. Dark Horse and IDW do licensed characters better. Avatar and others push the envelope more than DC or Marvel would ever even contemplate.
This has been the battle cry for the indie fans for the better part of 30 years. The problem is they don’t sell. Even the “successful” titles that are from the other publishers sell at levels that at or bellow the levels of these cancelled books.
Perry
Special Reviewer

Post by Perry »

boshuda wrote:I think we can get more original, better, non-superhero content from other publishers.
But that is the sad part. There is really no reason why the "big 2" can't put out good, non-super-hero stuff, and in-fact have done so very successfully in the past. It is sad that recently (over the last 15 years or so? Maybe?) we as readers choose not to buy what they try and put out.

Not saying the recent DC offerings have been a good example of alternate stories done well, but they have the potential to bring some. It is just every time DC or Marvel does, we (comic fans) choose to not buy them. Well, not in volume anyway
:D

And as far as other publishers making better non-superhero content, I would wager there is less "better" and more "average" books out there. For every SAGA, WALKING DEAD, '68 and FATALE there are countless others that ... well ... provide less value and entertainment. (For me anyway, your mileage will vary)
:wink:

Of course having typed '68, I am reminded of that 'NAM series that would also fit into this realm and actually did pretty well for Marvel for a few years.
boshuda
Special Reviewer

Post by boshuda »

Perry wrote:
boshuda wrote:I think we can get more original, better, non-superhero content from other publishers.
But that is the sad part. There is really no reason why the "big 2" can't put out good, non-super-hero stuff, and in-fact have done so very successfully in the past. It is sad that recently (over the last 15 years or so? Maybe?) we as readers choose not to buy what they try and put out.
Personally I say it's a matter of being jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none. Make good superhero books and leave the other stuff to other companies.

An indy guy or gal might publish a few thousand copies and continue to do so indefinitely. Marvel's minimum number is much, much higher. So even if they're putting out great non-superhero books they won't survive at Marvel or DC given the current market conditions.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Perry wrote:
BobBretall wrote: Yeah, my earliest DC "favorite" title was Warlord, so I have a history of liking stuff off the "super-hero trail".
Ya know, I have never read that. Seems odd for as old as I am (feel) but I really need to check into that series. I always seen it when I was getting my books from the spinner rack, but always ended up leaving it behind. Not sure why as I like Grell's art and I like those types of story settings.
I highly recommend the original Warlord series. About four or five years ago I read through the entire run and loved it.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
Perry
Special Reviewer

Post by Perry »

JohnMayo wrote:I highly recommend the original Warlord series. About four or five years ago I read through the entire run and loved it.
Yeah, if I can keep my monthly reading total to under 15 issues, I may just have to get the darn thing and try it out. Buy a nice set and read 1 or 2 issues a month.

Edit - Just jumped on Ebay to see what kind of runs they had up and I saw another title by DC, under the same style, that I use to enjoy ... for a short time - ARION
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Perry wrote:Edit - Just jumped on Ebay to see what kind of runs they had up and I saw another title by DC, under the same style, that I use to enjoy ... for a short time - ARION
The origin Arion series was a lot of fun. Well worth reading.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive