What are you preodering for Jan 2013, shipping in March?

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

torchsong
Special Reviewer

Post by torchsong »

I haven't put my order in yet but it's looking like a thin month for me (thank God!) except I'll definitely be picking up the resolicit of the 3rd Teen Titans omnibus. I'm still debating that Kitty Pryde statue from Kotobukiya. Will depend on the discount.
"That...that HAIR!!!" - Deadpool, Deadpool #11
Paul Nolan
Special Reviewer

Post by Paul Nolan »

BobBretall wrote:
Perry wrote:What is the deal with "FANTASTIC FOUR #5AU" and "SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #6AU"?
It just means that FF #5 is part of the "Age of Ultron" event. No indication that it's a particular story chapter, just that it will involve bits of the AU story. Sometimes this story connection is meaningful, sometimes meaningless. I tend to not buy a book I wasn't getting previously just because of a tie-in to an event like this.
Actually the F4 5AU an SSM 6AU are different to 5 an 6 of their respective series. They are like a 5.1 or a 6.1 put this time they are using the even more confusing suffix of AU.

Notice the creative teams below:-
FANTASTIC FOUR #5AU
Matt Fraction (W) • TBD (A)
Cover by MARK BAGLEY
An AGE OF ULTRON tie-in!
Will the rise of the artificial intelligence Ultron cause the premature end of the Fantastic Four’s sojourn across time and space?
32 PGS./Rated T ...$3.99

FANTASTIC FOUR #5
MATT FRACTION (W) • MARK BAGLEY (A/C)
Artist variant by MIKE DEODATO
• The F4 travel back to ancient Rome and dine with Caesar on the Ides of March.
• Did somebody say, “Pass the knife”?
32 PGS./Rated T ...$2.99

Superior Spider-Man #6AU
CHRISTOS GAGE (W) • Dexter Soy (A)
Cover by Marco Checchetto
The Superior Spider-Man enters the Age of Ultron!
32 PGS./Rated T ...$3.99

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #5 & 6
DAN SLOTT (W) • Issue #5 - GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI (A/C)
Issue #5 - Variant cover by Mark Bagley
Issue #6 - HUMBERTO RAMOS (A/C)
Issue #5 - “Death Sentence”
• How many have to die before the Superior Spider-Man will kill a super villain?
• Spider-Man versus Massacre-- with hundreds of lives in the balance.
Issue #6 - “Laugh It Off”
• The new super villain duo, JESTER & SCREWBALL, are punking heroes across the internet.
• And now they’ve set their site on the Superior Spider-Man. (Who is SO not good with that.)
32 PGS. (EACH)/Rated T+ ...$3.99 (EACH)
boshuda
Special Reviewer

Post by boshuda »

Thin month. Feels good to be cutting my comic budget. Leaves more money for conventions (wait a minute...).

Dark Horse:
COLDER #5 (OF 5) (MR)
BTVS SEASON 9 FREEFALL #19 NOTO CVR
BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER WILLOW WONDERLAND #5 (OF 5) MACK CV
CONAN THE BARBARIAN #14

DC:
(subs)
Batman
Batman & Robin
Justice League
Superman
Detective Comics
Aquaman
Action Comics
Wonder Woman
Batman: The Dark Knight
Green Lantern
(\subs)
RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #18
DEMON KNIGHTS #18
FABLES #127 (MR)

Image:
HOLLOWS #4 (OF 4)
BLACKACRE #4 (MR)
CLONE #5
EPIC KILL #9
HACK SLASH #25 CVR A SEELEY & MARCO (MR)
HELL YEAH #8
I LOVE TROUBLE #4 (MR)
INVINCIBLE #101
LEGEND OF LUTHER STRODE #4 (OF 6) (MR)
MARA #4 (OF 6) (MR)
REVIVAL #8
SAGA #11 (MR)
WALKING DEAD #108 (MR)
WITCH DOCTOR MALPRACTICE #5 (OF 6)

Other:
CROSSED BADLANDS #25 (MR)
CROSSED BADLANDS #26 WRAP CVR (MR)
FASHION BEAST #7 WRAP CVR (MR)
FAIRY QUEST #2 (OF 2)
FREELANCERS #6 MAIN CVRS
DEATHMATCH #4 MAIN COVERS
HYPERNATURALS #9 MAIN CVRS
SUPURBIA ONGOING #5
JENNIFER BLOOD #25 (MR)
ORIUS #3 (OF 3)
Perry
Special Reviewer

Post by Perry »

Boshuda, Just a question, is there any reasons you do not order any Valiant comics? Just wondering.
boshuda
Special Reviewer

Post by boshuda »

Perry wrote:Boshuda, Just a question, is there any reasons you do not order any Valiant comics? Just wondering.
I've thought about it. Particularly since all I hear are good things. I didn't really care for Valiant back in the day with the exception of Hard C.O.R.P.s so there's no nostalgia to get me to try again.

They seem to be offering everything I'm looking for from a comics publisher but since I missed the initial bandwagon I hesitate to get on it now. I would need to hunt down back issues and/or trades.

I picked up all of the Comixology free issues recently. If they switch to $1 an issue at some point I may use that as an excuse to start going all digital.

I'm also trying to get fewer comics a month since I can't read all the books I currently get. My regina has steadily grown from a small pile to two longboxes and a full-size bookcase of trades/graphic novels. Avoiding a publisher completely is an easy way to minimize that growth. It's part of why I don't read the characters I have the most affinity for - Marvel.

Finally, while I would like to read many things in trade (easier to lend to friends, better looking storage, and most things are written for the trade anyway) I find I just don't keep up with the trade releases and rapidly fall behind. I missed when Chew Omnivore 2 was released and I see that Omnivore 3 was just solicited. This is one I've been trying to keep an eye on since Omnivore 1 keeps taunting me from the bookshelf.

Fudd - pick up Chew. It's fantastic.
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

boshuda wrote: Fudd - pick up Chew. It's fantastic.
I have gotten that piece of advice from enough people, I just ordered the trade from Amazon
Perry
Special Reviewer

Post by Perry »

boshuda wrote: ... I'm also trying to get fewer comics a month.
Though you did a great job explaining the many reasons for your stance, this is the one that rings home for me :lol:

Understand, good sir. Understand.
boshuda
Special Reviewer

Post by boshuda »

Perry wrote:
boshuda wrote: ... I'm also trying to get fewer comics a month.
Though you did a great job explaining the many reasons for your stance, this is the one that rings home for me :lol:

Understand, good sir. Understand.
It's also the only real reason :P . All the rest are fluff helping me justify why I'm not reading some comics that look intriguing.
torchsong
Special Reviewer

Post by torchsong »

YE OLDE ORDER for the Month!

Usual Suspects - DC:
RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #18
SUPERGIRL #18
SWORD OF SORCERY #6 - Great artwork and an awesome return of Amethyst!

Likely-to-become Usual Suspects - Marvel:
FEARLESS DEFENDERS #2 NOW
FF #5 - You either love Allred or hate him. I'm digging this book. My wife asked if a child drew it.
SAVAGE WOLVERINE #3 - Frank Cho drawing Shanna. Discussion ends here.
THUNDERBOLTS #6 and 7 - I'll tolerate a double-shipped book if it's kept cheap.
UNCANNY X-FORCE #3 - Spiral and Puck on a team together. As long as that remains, so will I.
YOUNG AVENGERS #3

Tradesville:
BIRDS OF PREY TP VOL 02 YOUR KISS MIGHT KILL
LEGION WORLDS TP - Continuing my love/discovery of all things Legion
SAVAGE BEAUTY TP - Was always curious about this and fits with my Jungle Babe collection.

Mangaville:
DOROHEDORO GN VOL 09 (MR) - Pound for pound the best manga nobody's reading.
EXCEL SAGA TP VOL 25 - Series is ending with Vol. 27. I has a sad.

Don't judge me! I can read what I want!
MY LITTLE PONY FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC #5 - Hey, if you didn't read the first issue, you missed out.
MY LITTLE PONY MICRO SERIES #2 (OF 6) RAINBOW DASH

The Bank Breakers
MARVEL KITTY PRYDE BISHOUJO STATUE - Really going back and forth on this - I've always wanted a Kitty statue (and she comes with Lockheed) but this AND the book below? Whoo!
NEW TEEN TITANS OMNIBUS HC VOL 03 (RES) *Special Discount* - and thank you DCBS for putting it (and the other two volumes) on special discount. This is the only big Omnibi series I'm collecting.
GABE!
Special Reviewer

Post by GABE! »

I've kind of changes my buying habits, now that I have an iPad.

I've decided that my physical Marvel comics I purchase will be ones that have the free digital copies included. Since I can get those from DCBS for way cheaper.

But this month my comic orders are going to be thin since I ordered the John Byrne Fantastic Four Artist Edition.
boshuda
Special Reviewer

Post by boshuda »

I dropped Blackacre and added Sex #1. I finally read Blackacre #1 and was not impressed. I think it's probably fine but it's just not my cuppa.
torchsong
Special Reviewer

Post by torchsong »

Dumped the Birds of Prey trade and the Kitty Pryde statue. I won a couple nice ebay auctions on some Supergirl pages, so I needed to rob Peter to pay Paul, so to speak.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

boshuda wrote: I finally read Blackacre #1 and was not impressed. I think it's probably fine but it's just not my cuppa.
I liked Blackacre, but can understand it not resonating with every reader.
ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

BobBretall wrote:
boshuda wrote: I finally read Blackacre #1 and was not impressed. I think it's probably fine but it's just not my cuppa.
I liked Blackacre, but can understand it not resonating with every reader.
what's it about/what's good about it?

Interestingly (or not), "blackacre" is used in law school property course as a sample property (ex. Mr. Jones buys Blackacre for $500 and then deeds it back to Mr. smith.....). Although I assume the comic isn't about property law??

e
L nny
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

ctowner1 wrote: what's it about/what's good about it?
Blackacre article & preview pages:
http://www.comicsbulletin.com/news/5123 ... -december/

Interview with writer:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=41241

What's so good about it? I just liked the story. I like various dystopian future stories, interesting setting/setup, etc. What I liked about it someone else could hate about it.