Dark Knight- my problem with its approach

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

JessieGarrett
Visitor

Post by JessieGarrett »

adampasz wrote:I don't agree with the original point. I feel that the Tim Burton, fantastical, art deco style has been utterly played out over the last 2 decades. Nolan was very savvy to recognize the need to take things in a fresh direction.
Yes BUT you can be loyal to the source material without it becoming BAT-shark repellent, Bat-suit nipples and Bat-credit cards.

However I have been thinking on this for a few days and I do take back a previous comment. I said I cant see Supermna working in this franchise as they are setting it up now BUT the more I thought about it the more I realized something. If they were to introduce Superman to the BATmovies similar to the way joker was introed at the end of the first film, perhaps a news report on TV etc it could work. And this is my reasoning. Superman, like Batman, is an iconic character and the viewer will be more readily willing to accept him showing up, at least in the background. Once a character like Superman is established that fantastical element I was talking about before is introduced and liberties can be taken characters.
PREVIEW HERE:
Fnord Serious
Fan

Post by Fnord Serious »

I'm fine with the real-world approach. I don't need my comic book movies to adhere rigidly to the source material as long as they are making good movies. And there is enough goofy pseudo-science in The Dark Knight (the cheesy CSI-like ballistics reconstruction, Batman's cell phone sonar vision) that something like Clayface could be possible. Introduce him as a CIA experiment in on-the-fly identity reconstruction and only have him go total mud-man in the final battle. An advantage to the real world approach is that it will be much harder for someone to waltz into the franchise and foist another Batman & Robin on us.
johnmayo wrote:I'd be tempted to have a few blatantly lame ones for really quick "fight" scenes to establish that the existence of Batman is changing the nature of crime in Gotham City. You know, classic characters like CrazyQuilt, Killer Moth and the ever popular Condiment King.
I like this idea a lot. It would help sell the idea that Batman and the Joker have changed the playing field in Gotham across the board. I would have liked to see something similar in one of the Spidey films, a quick walk on by the Shocker or some other D-Lister.