Superior Spider-Man

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

Gilgabob
Special Reviewer

Superior Spider-Man

Post by Gilgabob »

I came across this image for a variant of Superior Spider-Man. In the caption in the article it says it's a varant for #1 but looking at the image itself it looks like there is a "5" written on the top of the page so, who knows. Regardless, what Spidey is doing is alarming to me (may be a bit of a spoiler if you are sensitive to that sort of thing).

http://www.comicbookresources.com/prev_ ... 1354913299

I'm starting to get worried.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Re: Superior Spider-Man

Post by BobBretall »

Gilgabob wrote: I'm starting to get worried.
I started & stopped worrying when they announced Superior Spider-Man was not Perter Parker....

Whatever the character does, including what is shown in that image, is of no consequence to me. Really stresses how different he is from Peter, though.
Gilgabob
Special Reviewer

Post by Gilgabob »

BobBretall wrote:
I started & stopped worrying when they announced Superior Spider-Man was not Perter Parker....

Whatever the character does, including what is shown in that image, is of no consequence to me. Really stresses how different he is from Peter, though.
I'm not thrilled with the direction either but I am going to give it a chance.

I have a strange feeling that Marvel is up to something here with this character. I'm not convinced that everything is how it appears. I'm probably wrong but I'm going to hang for awhile just to see.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Gilgabob wrote: I'm not thrilled with the direction either but I am going to give it a chance.

I have a strange feeling that Marvel is up to something here with this character. I'm not convinced that everything is how it appears. I'm probably wrong but I'm going to hang for awhile just to see.
You could very well be right.

For my own part, Marvel burned me out on getting the "benefit of the doubt" a couple of years ago.
ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

BobBretall wrote:

Which will make it all the sweeter when Peter returns in a few issues (a year at the latest - most likely less than 1/2 a year). I mean, it's not like you haven't seen this story before, is it?

e
L nny
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Well, ASM #700 was a huge steaming pile of something I cannot name & make it past the content filter on this forum. We will discuss the issue on an upcoming episode.

Worst part about it was it was exactly telegraphed by the ending of #698 as the "worst case scenario" that could come out of that reveal. I was hoping Slott would do something unexpected, he did not.

I will reveal my prediction on how they will undo this on the podcast. I exactly predicted what would happen when they acted like Johnny Storm was killed. I have a feeling I know exactly how they are pulling the wool over the eyes of readers now.
Paul Nolan
Special Reviewer

Post by Paul Nolan »

ctowner1 wrote:
BobBretall wrote:

Which will make it all the sweeter when Peter returns in a few issues (a year at the latest - most likely less than 1/2 a year). I mean, it's not like you haven't seen this story before, is it?

e
L nny
not necessarily. Remember they've said that Bucky was only planned to be Cap for 12 issues, but that kept on getting extended.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

Paul Nolan wrote:
ctowner1 wrote:Which will make it all the sweeter when Peter returns in a few issues (a year at the latest - most likely less than 1/2 a year). I mean, it's not like you haven't seen this story before, is it?

e
L nny
not necessarily. Remember they've said that Bucky was only planned to be Cap for 12 issues, but that kept on getting extended.
yah - but who's Cap now, right? Perhaps it'll be longer than a year - but I suspect the next time a Spidey movie hits the movie screen, the comic Spidey will be Peter.

e
L nny
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!
the1captain
Reviewer

Post by the1captain »

BobBretall wrote:Well, ASM #700 was a huge steaming pile of something I cannot name & make it past the content filter on this forum. We will discuss the issue on an upcoming episode.

Worst part about it was it was exactly telegraphed by the ending of #698 as the "worst case scenario" that could come out of that reveal. I was hoping Slott would do something unexpected, he did not.

I will reveal my prediction on how they will undo this on the podcast. I exactly predicted what would happen when they acted like Johnny Storm was killed. I have a feeling I know exactly how they are pulling the wool over the eyes of readers now.
I'm not a Spiderman fan. Don't hate the character. Loved some stories(Kraven's Last Hunt, first few trades of Ultimate Spidey). But overall not a character I follow. I just read 698-700 thanks to a friend that gave me his free digital codes. 698 and 699 were good. 700 had awful artwork and a predictable ending.

I hear Dan Slott is receiving death threats for the ending. Don't know why. I'm guessing everything will be reset in time for the next Spiderman movie. If not sooner.

I still love a good superhero story. But this soap opera change for the appearance of change but nothing ever "happens" is why after close to 25 years I'm moving slowly away from DC and Marvel and much more into indies.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

the1captain wrote: I hear Dan Slott is receiving death threats for the ending. Don't know why. I'm guessing everything will be reset in time for the next Spiderman movie. If not sooner.
Yeah, I disliked the story & what Slott's done to the character (even though I know it will be undone) but I don't get being so upset you'd threaten the guy.

Just passing on Superior Spider-Man is the appropriate response if you don't like the storytelling.
abysslord
Master Reviewer

Post by abysslord »

BobBretall wrote:Well, ASM #700 was a huge steaming pile of something I cannot name & make it past the content filter on this forum. We will discuss the issue on an upcoming episode.

Are you buying Superior #1?

And what if they do 20 issues or so of Superior, then rename it to Amazing #721 .... would you then go buy the Superiors to keep your run of ASM?

I thought the story was okay for 698-700, but the very end of 700 could have been written better. It was almost like he ran out of room and had to cram the ending in a couple pages.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

abysslord wrote: Are you buying Superior #1?
Nope.
abysslord wrote: And what if they do 20 issues or so of Superior, then rename it to Amazing #721 .... would you then go buy the Superiors to keep your run of ASM?
I don't know. Because any issue of Superior is NOT an issue of Amazing. It would be like Marvel trying to add issues of Spectacular or Web to the issue count for Amazing.

When they get rid of Superior & bring Peter back in a new Amazing #1, I'll likely get that.
abysslord
Master Reviewer

Post by abysslord »

BobBretall wrote:
abysslord wrote: And what if they do 20 issues or so of Superior, then rename it to Amazing #721 .... would you then go buy the Superiors to keep your run of ASM?
I don't know. Because any issue of Superior is NOT an issue of Amazing. It would be like Marvel trying to add issues of Spectacular or Web to the issue count for Amazing.

When they get rid of Superior & bring Peter back in a new Amazing #1, I'll likely get that.
I'm just thinking of what they did with Fantastic Four. Ended at 588, restarted at 600 so a full run would need to include FF 1-11 or however it worked out.
ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

abysslord wrote:
BobBretall wrote:

I'm just thinking of what they did with Fantastic Four. Ended at 588, restarted at 600 so a full run would need to include FF 1-11 or however it worked out.
Which is utterly ridiculous, of course. That was the single most irritating thing Marvel did IMHO. Do you file FF #1-11 between F4 #588 & 600? or just leave the gap? (I leave the gap). Perhaps one day when F4 #50 becomes F4 #650, they'll go back and do F4 #589-599??

e
L nny
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!