Hellboy II: The Golden Army!

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Hellboy II: The Golden Army!

Post by BobBretall »

What a great movie!!! Even better than the 1st one!

I fell really confident that Guillermo del Toro will do an excellent job on "The Hobbit".
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

BTW, it really bugged Janine & Greg that Abe was not wearing that breathing collar in the 2nd half of the movie (I didn't really notice....)

1) Did you notice?

2) Did it bug you?

3) Do you have an explanation for why he was not wearing it? (for a "No Prize")
Koete
Reviewer

Post by Koete »

I thought it was excellent, better than Incredible Hulk IMO. I agree that Del Toro is going to hit The Hobbit out of the park. To answer your questions:
JLAFan wrote: 1) Did you notice?
"
Nope.
JLAFan wrote: 2) Did it bug you?
Nope.
JLAFan wrote: 3) Do you have an explanation for why he was not wearing it? (for a "No Prize")
I'm pretty sure that he had it in the Troll Marketplace, so my explanation is that when Princess Nuala and Abe touched hands, she used her Elfin magic to negate his need for a breathing aparatus.
JessieGarrett
Visitor

Post by JessieGarrett »

I did notice and wonder about it BUT it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the film.
I guess I just thought that he didn't HAVE to wear it only that it was more comfortable for him breathing water.
PREVIEW HERE:
Fnord Serious
Fan

Post by Fnord Serious »

It was a great visual feast and an improvement over the first film, but still way too jokey for my taste. I'd like to see a potential Hellboy 3 try to emulate the moody tone of the comics more. A lot of the dialog felt really flat. Del Toro is credited with writing the script, and the only thing I can think of is "Maybe it sounded better in spanish?".
JessieGarrett wrote:I did notice and wonder about it BUT it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the film.
I guess I just thought that he didn't HAVE to wear it only that it was more comfortable for him breathing water.
My thoughts too.