Marvel NOW ... relaunches

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

BobBretall wrote:While I don't know all the particulars of the Image business model, do they get any profit sharing on a book that is a runaway hit?

Do they get the same for a #1 that sells 8,000 copies as they do for one that sells 40,000?

If so, is they any incentive at all for them to promote books more proactively than they do today? They have a very limited marketing staff.
The entire point of the Image business model is that they don't get a piece of the pie.

Does it benefit them to promote an exist book to help it sell better? Not in terms of increasing the revenue of those issues. But don't you think if the titles sold better they might last longer? And if they last longer, Image gets the $2500 on each issue published.

Does it help them to promote new titles so they stick around? Yes. I know there have been a number of titles from Image which didn't turn enough of a profit (or in some cases failed to turn any profit). That hurts Image because it both kills those titles and sours the creators on doing others.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

JohnMayo wrote: The entire point of the Image business model is that they don't get a piece of the pie.

Does it benefit them to promote an exist book to help it sell better? Not in terms of increasing the revenue of those issues. But don't you think if the titles sold better they might last longer? And if they last longer, Image gets the $2500 on each issue published.
I can see the point for something that aspires to being an ongoing, maybe not so much for a book that's pitched as a limited series from the start.

One solution could be to establish an outsource relationship to some people with real marketing experience & allow creators to leverage this on an as desired basis. I'm not sure if there are "piece of the pie" or "pay for performance" marketing firms, but it would be great if, just like a salesman on commission who gets accelerators when they exceed quota, have the marketeers get incentive if they drive sales above various thresholds.
GABE!
Special Reviewer

Post by GABE! »

I'm going to approach the MarvelNOW relaunch the same as I did with DC's New 52.

I'm going to pick up every #1 issue that interests me. Those #1's are Marvel's change to get me, and everyone, to buy more of there comics. So based on the strength of these issues will decide which titles I will read on a regular basis.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

GABE! wrote: I'm going to pick up every #1 issue that interests me.
And...... Which are the ones that interest you of the 10 solicited so far?

Or are you going to wait to see them in the shop and look through them to decide?
GABE!
Special Reviewer

Post by GABE! »

BobBretall wrote:
GABE! wrote: I'm going to pick up every #1 issue that interests me.
And...... Which are the ones that interest you of the 10 solicited so far?

Or are you going to wait to see them in the shop and look through them to decide?
I'll break down the titles by how interested I am.

Uncanny Avengers. Rick Remender and John Cassaday. I'm interested in this because of Rick Remender's writing on Uncanny X-Force has been great. But Cassaday's art has, lately, to me, been on a slippery slope (Look at his Superman covers from before Flashpoint) and seems to be well below his best work (a la Planetary, Astonishing X-men.) I'm expecting Cassaday to have a fill in artist after 4 issues.

All-New X-Men Bendis and Stuart Immonen. "The return of the five original X-Men, plucked from different points in time including a teenage Jean Grey." Yeah.....PASS. The story concept sounds too outrageous and gimmicky to hold my attention. If this were a mini-series or story arch then it wouldn't sound so bad. I do not see how they can keep the idea of a young Jean, Scott, Hank, and Bobby interacting with their older selves fresh for long without it getting stale. Plus Bendis' work has not been appealing to me like it once did during Daredevil, Powers, Alias, and Ultimate Spider-man.

Avengers and New Avengers Jonathon Hick and Jerome Opena. Hickman is a great writer and I will give anything he does a chance. These books are in the same vein as Hickman Fantastic Four and FF title. Where they are two sides of the same story told from different perspectives. This worked great on F4 and FF ( To me) and I love Opena's art.

Iron Man Kieron Gillen and Greg Land. "The story will focus on Iron Man questioning things about himself and trying to find out exactly how the universe ticks, what’s this all about and why he does this anyway" . Neither of these creators do anything for me. If I hear great things about this book after it's release I'm might decide to pick it up.

Thor: God of Thunder. Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic. "It's all about Thor, and by showing him in three very different eras of his life—as the young hotheaded god of the Viking Age, as the accomplished and legendary Avenger of the present, and as an aging king of a broken future Asgard" Another alternate version of a character, like All-New X-Men. Jason Aaron hasn't grabbed me with his Marvel work, but I want to see what he can do with Thor. So If I hear everyone talking about how great this is I'll get the hardcover.

Indestructible Hulk Mark Waid and Leinil Yu. "No one's seen Hulk or Banner for a few weeks, which has the Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D. really nervous. S.H.I.E.L.D., in particular, has gone to great lengths in recent years to make absolutely certain that it's impossible for Banner to stay off the grid for any length of time—and yet, he's vanished. And this literally affects the entire planet. Every country is on the equivalent of orange alert. Airport security is a nightmare. World leaders are ready to bunker down at a moment's notice. Surveillance cameras are selling faster than they can be manufactured. Everyone's tense. Maria Hill, in particular, has taken “Finding Banner” as her own personal mission, and when our story opens, she's finally taking her first break in weeks. And as it happens, her timing sucks." This sounds exciting. Almost like the fugitive or the 70's Hulk tv series. Plus Waid is on my list of " Instant purchases"

Deadpool. Brian Posehn and Gerry Duggan and drawn by Tony Moore. "It starts with a man who has decided that America has a lot of problems that can only be fixed by bringing back our former leaders, our great American Presidents. But that’s not how it works out. Once they’re back, they have a completely different idea of what they need to do and what the country needs. It’s a distasteful job having to send our presidents back, but Deadpool is up for the job and is suited for it." Sounds pretty damn silly to me. But that Geoff Darrow cover for #1 got me interested. Plus Tony Moore is a a great fit for a violent and silly toned story.

Fantastic Four by Matt Fraction and Mark Bagley, and FF by Fraction and Mike Allred. "In Fantastic Four, the superhero family take a vacation into space to expand their children’s view of life, while FF features a new team consisting of Ant-Man, Miss Thing, Medusa, and She-Hulk."
Can I be honest here? Ok. I'm really not a big Fraction fan, thanks to Fear itself and Thor/The Mighty Thor. But I've been following F4 for years and I'm not going to stop now. I enjoy Bagley's previous work on Fantastic Four. Plus the FF book sounds crazy enough to work and has the Allreds on art. I can't go wrong there.

Captain America by Rick Remender and John Romita Jr. "Remender described the tone to be "almost like a Kirby Sci-Fi Indiana Jones" Sounds good enough for me. Plus, recently Marvel released some preview pages of JRJR and they look great. They looked like he had able to put some detail and time into the art, and didn't look like his "deadline" style.

X-Men Legacy by Si Spurrier and Tan Eng Huat. "centered around Legion. Spurrier said, "As far as I know the idea of basing the series round David has been in the works since the plotting of Avengers Vs. X-Men. David’s story grows organically from those events. In fact I’d go so far as to say it’s the tale that really needs to be told in the aftermath period. My brief was pretty simple: take a thoroughly screwed-up young character—who’s been handled so differently by so many narrative teams down the years that it’s tricky for anyone to say for sure exactly who he is or what his voice might be and launch him into the Marvel Universe... Show us who he is. What he can do. What he wants to do but can’t yet."
This sounds like one of those comics that could end up being the sleeper hit of the relaunch, almost like I,Vampire. "Hit" may be a back choice of words, but you know what I mean. A book that most people will pass up because the creators and main character are not A,B, or even C list, but the books ends up being much better than expected. I have that feeling with this one.

Whew! That was a lot of typing and explaining. But I think having this list here will give me some bearing later on what I think I'm going to like compared to what I actually enjoyed after reading the issues.
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

The amount of variants that Marvel has on their Marvel Now line is crazy.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/09/03/ ... ate-sales/
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

HassanT wrote:The amount of variants that Marvel has on their Marvel Now line is crazy.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/09/03/ ... ate-sales/
Is anyone surprised? This is standard procedure for comics marketing (not just Marvel). Sell based on the collector mentality. Quality is a side-issue that may happen if you're lucky.

A sale now is better than trying to sustain sales down the line by telling good stories. They can always reboot/relaunch when sales start lagging again.

It works EVERY time, I suspect they'll keep doing this until it consistently stops working.

That said:
Uncanny Avengers #2
1: 100 Milo Manara cover
I'd love to have one of these, but as a 1:100 chase cover, there's no way. I'll need to find a picture of it on-line somewhere.

An interesting side conversation would be about who exactly are buying all these 1:75, 1:100, 1:200, 1:300 variants.

They cost a fortune.
I'd love to know if the people who buy them do so because they love them & just want to collect them (which I can understand, I collect some weird stuff) or if they collect them because they think they're a good investment.
J. Farrell
Fan

Post by J. Farrell »

BobBretall wrote:
I'd love to have one of these, but as a 1:100 chase cover, there's no way. I'll need to find a picture of it on-line somewhere.
You can see it on The Beat here: http://www.comicsbeat.com/2012/08/29/ma ... more-57627

As you can tell if you read the comment section, I don't care for it. Your mileage may vary.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

J. Farrell wrote:
BobBretall wrote:
You can see it on The Beat here: http://www.comicsbeat.com/2012/08/29/ma ... more-57627

As you can tell if you read the comment section, I don't care for it. Your mileage may vary.
Yikes! If you put a bag on her head the rest is really nice. But that face.....

Thanks for pointing me at it so I can see I'm not missing anything.

On the top cover, though, they say it's an Adi Granov cover, but it's clearly signed by JG Jones.
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

DCBS order form is up for September. The DCBS special for Marvel NOW is that you get 50% off if you order all the Marvel NOW books:

Avengers #01
Indestructible Hulk #01
Uncanny Avengers #02
All New X-Men #01, 02
Iron Man #01, 02
Captain America #01
X-Men Legacy #01, 02
Fantastic Four #01
FF #01
Deadpool #01, 02
Thor God of Thunder #01, 02
A Plus X #02
Avengers Assemble #09

Since I don't care for the books in bold and the double shipping of some of the MARVEL NOW books, it is more economical for me to order just the books I want to try and get the 40% off.

I find the Avengers solicits to be interesting. This is advance solicitation for the first week of December.
yensid4disney
Contributor

Post by yensid4disney »

I was really thinking about getting the All New X-Men if it was discounted to around 0.99 for the issue. Unfortunately, DCBS is only doing the group discount, not the individual issues. This is fine if you want to get all the Marvel NOW books, but seeing as how they are rolling these things out, I'm not really looking to hop onto a lot of new books. I am sampling Uncanny Avengers, and will probably still try All New X-Men (even at $2.59), but I will more than likely wait for the trades (not even hardcovers) on most of these things that I want to try.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Like Hassan, it's not really worth it to me to get the DCBS bundle at 50% off.

I'm only really interested in the Indestructible Hulk #01.

Given that there's only a discount on the BIG BUNDLE, I think I'm going to be skipping a lot of books I might have tried had I been able to get them individually at a better discount.

DCBS just lost sales to me on:
All New X-Men #01
Iron Man #01
Fantastic Four #01

On X-Men, I was curious to see how Bendis would do on this one, but without any extra kick of a discount? I'll browse through it at the LCS and pick it up if it looks really good, no pre-order for me.

I was originally planning to try out Iron Man, but I'm not very enthused about jumping onto a book that's $3.99 and double-shipping right out of the gate. Same thing, I'll browse #1 at the LCS.
killyrcomics
Visitor

Post by killyrcomics »

Perry wrote:Also, anyone see any Brubaker news? Will he still be around? Getting scared when I don't see 'leaked' info on him.
I think Brubaker is taking a break from Marvel to focus on his creator owned stuff. Hopefully, he will come back. I'm really enjoying Fatale, though.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

killyrcomics wrote:
Perry wrote:Also, anyone see any Brubaker news? Will he still be around? Getting scared when I don't see 'leaked' info on him.
I think Brubaker is taking a break from Marvel to focus on his creator owned stuff. Hopefully, he will come back. I'm really enjoying Fatale, though.
I thought I heard something about him doing some Hollywood stuff too.
GABE!
Special Reviewer

Post by GABE! »

I'm very tempted to go head and order the 50% off deal for the Marvel NOW titles.