What are your top 10 favorite books?

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

Lord Shaper
Special Reviewer

Post by Lord Shaper »

johnmayo wrote:
Lord Shaper wrote:1. Doktor Sleepless
2. Gravel
3. Hellblazer
4. Ghost Rider
5. The Living Corpse
6. Nightwing
7. X Force
8. Simon Dark
9. Madam Xanadu
10. Green Arrow/Black Canary

There are other Mini's I would get over some of the ongoing in that list but I wasn't going to count them as they have an expiry date.
Interesting to see Nightwing and Green Arrow/Black Canary on your list.

I'm enjoying both of those books. But to cut back to just 10 books a month would require even titles I enjoy like those to be cut. They did make it past the first round for me only to get replaced by PS 238 and Teen Titans.
Well this is my current pull list apart from anything that I get in trade or pick up off the shelf since books cost so much down here.

Ongoing

Batman
Black Canary/Green Arrow
Detective Comics
Doktor Sleepless
Ghost Rider
Gravel
Hellblazer
Madame Xanadu
Mice Templar
Nightwing
Robin
Spawn
Superfriends
Simon Dark
The Living Corpse
The Darkness
X Force
Witchblade
Victorian Horrors of Old Mauch Chunk
City of Dust Suydam Cover
Nowhere Man
Ghost Rider Danny Ketch
Pulp Tales

Mini Series

Anna Mercury
Dark Ivory
Titanium Rain
Narcopolis

Magazine

Back Issue Magazine
Comics Now!

If I could afford more then I would be getting more But Nightwing and Green Arrow have been with me for so long now that I can't see going without them no matter how often Jason Todd gets turned into a shape changing Blob hehehehe
laseraw
Fan

Post by laseraw »

i may have gone over the 10 list bit...

musts :
scalped VERTIGO
criminial ICON
walking dead IMAGE
umbrella academy (its coming back!) DARK HORSE
bprd (if its still with guy davis) DARK HORSE

geoff johns manages my income:
jsa (as long as johns sticks around) DC
action comics (as long as johns sticks around) DC
green lantern (as long as johns sticks around) DC

so so (could drop them at anytime but, have followed them so far)
thor (if coipel/jms stays on it) MARVEL
johna hex DC

irregularly published but must haves
all-star superman (almost over but well deserved mention) DC
madman (viva la allred) IMAGE
kick-(bleep) (because of jrjr) ICON

open wish list
anything darwyn cooke does (parker adaptation for IDW it looks like)
anything jrjr does
anything joe kubert does (this man is a force of nature)
anything jordi bernet does (that's partially why i stick to johna hex)
anything paul pope does
anything frank quitely does
anything eric canete draws (end league looks like)
anything geoff darrow does
ImageImage
ImageImage
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

I think about this sometimes if I had to cut my list. So here is my top ten:

1) Batman - Grant Morrison is one of my favorite two writers
2) Action Comics - Geoff Johns is my other second favorite writer
3) Justice Society of America - One of my favorite books now.
4) Green Lantern - Again Johns is the man
5) Justice League of America - It has been ok lately, but I am a JLA since I could remember
6) Daredevil - This title has been consistently good since the relaunch under Marvel Knights and got me back reading DC and Marvel titles.
7) Captain America - This is one of my favorite books out today
8 ) New Avengers - I am really digging what Bendis is doing
9) Mighty Avengers - Not as good as New Avengers but enjoyable
10) Thor - A very strong title in terms of both story and art.

I agree with Bob about Amazing Spider-man. I really love the title now, but if I had budget issues, I don't know if I would spend my money on three "monthly" books focusing on one character. When I was a younger, I would love team books more because of all the different characters.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Koete wrote: 2) Batman (DC) - Grant Morisson is the current writer and has been bringing the wacky Batman stories of the Fifties back into continuity.
This is a really good point. I have been enjoying Morrison's Batman stories immensely. but they fell just outside the "top 10" for me personally.

On another note, this makes me think back to the Final Crisis thread. Morrision is demonstrating on Batman that he is capable of writing a comic series that is enjoyable and can be read month-to-month without leaving me feel like I need a "Cliff's Notes to the DCU" to enjoy/understand what is going on, even though he is doing stuff that is specifically hearkening back to the 1950s. I also don't need to read each issue 3 or 4 times to "get it".

I'm not saying I could not get MORE out of the book by understanding more or by doing repeated reading, I probably could. The point is I don't NEED to.
IanG
Special Reviewer

Post by IanG »

Thanks again Bob for going above and beyond. I have a question. What was the last issue of Fell and do you know when the next issue is coming out? It sounds interesting.

I wasn't going to try Walking Dead because I thought it was just another zombie book but I think I'll give it a go now. I would try Nova but it's part of the whole Secret Invasion story that I don't know much about or care to invest a lot of money and time in. Once that is over I'll give Nova a try. I think I'll give Invincible Iron Man another try. I read Iron Man as a kid in the 80's and loved it. I tried reading it again in the late 90's and didn't like it so much. I haven't seen the movie yet but I plan to get it on DVD. I'm going to try The Goon now that people here are putting it on their top ten list. The creator of The Goon, Eric Powell, won an Eisner award, so it should be worth checking out.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

IanG wrote:TWhat was the last issue of Fell and do you know when the next issue is coming out? It sounds interesting.
The last issue of Fell that came out was #9. I have #10 on order bu have no idea when it will come out, the series kind of comes out "whenever they get around to it", but each issue is a standalone story, so they don't really leave you hanging.
There is a trade out, so I'd suggest:
http://www.instocktrades.com/product.aspx?id=9&pid=4337
The 1st trade collects issues #1-8 and can be had for $9.44 on In-Stock Trades (free shipping on orders $50 or more) and
http://www.amazon.com/Fell-Vol-1-Feral- ... 431&sr=8-1
it's $10.19 on Amazon, where you can get free shipping on orders of $25.
You should be able to find issue #9 at any decent comic shop.
IanG wrote: I wasn't going to try Walking Dead because I thought it was just another zombie book but I think I'll give it a go now.
I'd suggest starting with the 1st trade (Days Gone Bye). You can round out your order on either Amazon or IST to get free shipping ;)
IanG wrote: I think I'll give Invincible Iron Man another try. I read Iron Man as a kid in the 80's and loved it. I tried reading it again in the late 90's and didn't like it so much. I haven't seen the movie yet but I plan to get it on DVD.
If you get Iron Man, get "Invicible" Iron Man, as opposed to "Director of SHIELD". More new ready-friendly, IMO.
IanG wrote: I'm going to try The Goon now that people here are putting it on their top ten list. The creator of The Goon, Eric Powell, won an Eisner award, so it should be worth checking out.
The Goon is an excellent series. I tend to get it in trade form, so it was not something that hit my top 10 monthly comics list.
Koete
Reviewer

Post by Koete »

IanG wrote:I'm going to try The Goon now that people here are putting it on their top ten list. The creator of The Goon, Eric Powell, won an Eisner award, so it should be worth checking out.
If you're going to check out The Goon, be sure to pick up Vol. 1 Nothin' But Misery. There's a volume 0, but the volume 1 will give you a better feel for the book.
Lord Shaper
Special Reviewer

Post by Lord Shaper »

JLAFan wrote:
IanG wrote:TWhat was the last issue of Fell and do you know when the next issue is coming out? It sounds interesting.
The last issue of Fell that came out was #9. I have #10 on order bu have no idea when it will come out, the series kind of comes out "whenever they get around to it", but each issue is a standalone story, so they don't really leave you hanging.
When I had a chance to Talk to Ben about 2 months ago he said he was working on Fell #10 but Warren only sends him 2-3 pages here and there at the moment so he's waiting for more.

He did show me what he was working on tho when we had the interview.
Frank Castle
Master Reviewer

Post by Frank Castle »

Punisher Max - Marvel - Issues 1-60 were pure gold, Garth and Frank at their best. I am excited to read the next few storylines but I already miss Garth.
Punisher War Journal - Marvel - This is the MU version of Frank. It is kind of campy but is more lighthearted and is Frank inter acting with other figures in the MU. Should be noted that this is the complete opposite of the Max book.
New Avengers - Marvel - Love this book! Brian Michael Bendis has been on with every single issue. Some major Marvel events have happened in these pages.
Mighty Avengers - Marvel - More Bendis and more Avengers action. If your reading New, you should be reading Mighty.
The Boys - Dynamite Entertainment - More Garth Ennis and his take on why superheroes suck. The basic premise is that suerheroes need to be policed and the Boys are in charge of holding them accountable for their actions.
Powers - More Bendis in his "indy" book. 2 Police dets who take on murder cases where "powers" were involved. Some dialogue/interactions is true to how a police precinct is.
Astonishing Xmen - Whedon's run was fun and the most Xmen I've ever read. Ellis is off to a good start and I'll be sticking around as long as he does.
3 Avatar books - If I had to choose 3 Avatar books right min it would be Crossed, No Hero and Anna Mercury. Doktor Sleepless is the runner up.
Dr Zen
Passerby

Post by Dr Zen »

1. Justice Society - Geoff Johns & Alex Ross have me glued to my proverbial seat with their 'sequel' to Kingdom Come.

2. New Avengers - I am enjoying the Avengers books more than I am the main Secret Invasion title. go figure

3. Mighty Avengers - Can Brian Michael Bendis do any wrong?

4. Action Comics - For that matter can Geoff Johns do any wrong?

5. Birds of Prey - I was afraid the quality would drop after Gail Simone left. But it just keeps on going.

6. Justice League - This title has been up & down, but McDuffie seems to have gotten this book going in the right direction in the last few issues.

7. Superman

8. Echo - Terry Moore!!!

9. Simon Dark - I've been a fan of Hampton's art for years. Plus it's a great story too.

10. Daredevil

***Disclaimers***

* I am totaly confidant that Secret Six will be in my top 10 when it comes out. So something would have to get bumped.

* If George Perez started doing a regular book again, then it would have to be on the list somewhere.
Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

Dr Zen wrote:1. Justice Society - Geoff Johns & Alex Ross have me glued to my proverbial seat with their 'sequel' to Kingdom Come.

2. New Avengers - I am enjoying the Avengers books more than I am the main Secret Invasion title. go figure

3. Mighty Avengers - Can Brian Michael Bendis do any wrong?

4. Action Comics - For that matter can Geoff Johns do any wrong?

5. Birds of Prey - I was afraid the quality would drop after Gail Simone left. But it just keeps on going.

6. Justice League - This title has been up & down, but McDuffie seems to have gotten this book going in the right direction in the last few issues.

7. Superman

8. Echo - Terry Moore!!!

9. Simon Dark - I've been a fan of Hampton's art for years. Plus it's a great story too.

10. Daredevil
Your top 6 are pretty much my Top 6. Others for me:

* Captain America -- Brubaker's run will be counted among the best of all time

* House of Mystery

* Jack of Fables

* X-Men: First Class
Darth Kramer
Contributor

Post by Darth Kramer »

Trying to trim my list down to ten must buy books, something interesting happened. I was only able to come up with seven "must buy" books.

Green Lantern
Justice Society of America
Batman
Hack/Slash
X-Factor
Fables
Star Wars: Legacy

I have been going through my list doing some culls lately, so perphas it's time to give the axe to a couple books that I'm getting, but just don't care enough about.
BuffDaddyBill
Visitor

Post by BuffDaddyBill »

Here are mine.

1. The Boys
2. Action Comics
3. Manhunter
4. Gravel
5. Captain America
6. Wolverine
7. Superman / Batman
8. Teen Titans
9. Uncanny X-men
10. Superman

I was just a DC/Marvel guy until I started listening to this podcast and now I order almost as many indies as I do from the two majors. Keep up the good work!
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

BuffDaddyBill wrote: I was just a DC/Marvel guy until I started listening to this podcast and now I order almost as many indies as I do from the two majors. Keep up the good work!
That is great to hear. I'm glad you've found a number of titles from the other publishers that you are enjoying.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
Pictor
Passerby

Post by Pictor »

BuffDaddyBill wrote:I was just a DC/Marvel guy until I started listening to this podcast and now I order almost as many indies as I do from the two majors. Keep up the good work!
Almost the same thing for me too, I'd previously always just closed previews after going over marvel/dc/dark horse.

If I had to cut back to 10issues a month, it'd vary by month, but would currently be:

1. New Avengers
2. Simon Dark
3. Iron Man Director of Shield
4. Secret Invasion
5. Secret Invasion Front Line
6. Secret Incasion X-Men
7. Buffy Season 8
8. Angel: After the Fall
9. Spike: After the Fall
10. Chuck

It's interesting to see how many people have JSA on there... I just recently dropped it at issue 17, not for budgetary constraint reasons (I try to pick up at least 60 issues a month to always have something to read at lunch and coffee breaks), but because I wasn't enjoying it.