Comic Book Page Slack Channel

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

erickowabunga
Reviewer

Comic Book Page Slack Channel

Post by erickowabunga »

Hey All - Just wanted to see if there was any appetite for a persistent chat channel for us all? I have some co-workers who are gamers that use Slack to have on-going discussions with each other throughout the day/week. I know I would love to make it to a Skype session with John and others, but my schedule just doesn't afford the time on Saturday nights. However I am always open to have good discussions about comic, comic shops, creators, etc.

Anyone else out there use Slack or Skype for non-work persistent chat purposes and want to give it a try?
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Re: Comic Book Page Persistent Chat Channel

Post by JohnMayo »

I use Slack at work but I don't know what it would it take to get that set up for the personal use. I'll look into if my web host has any sort of similar functionality that I could add to the website.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Just for clarification, what functionality would a persistent chat channel provide that the forum does not?
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

JohnMayo wrote:Just for clarification, what functionality would a persistent chat channel provide that the forum does not?
I think a mobile platform that we can take a picture of, or share a new story on the fly. Something just a bit lighter than the full forum. Additionally, if people are going to a convention, and want to meet up, without sharing phone numbers, etc. it can make timely communication easier.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

That makes sense. I just don't want to fracture the community across too many different communication venues. Slack makes sense for the reasons you stated.
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

JohnMayo wrote:That makes sense. I just don't want to fracture the community across too many different communication venues. Slack makes sense for the reasons you stated.
I agree, I certainly do not want to take the good conversation we have going on the forum. It was an idea that came up when watching my co-workers chat about video games on Slack.
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

For those that would like to participate in the experiment for persistent chat, navigate to this link and jump in!

https://comicbookpage.herokuapp.com/

There is no cost to this, and once you are connected you can access the slack group via web, desktop app (mac and windows), and mobile app.

Hope to see you on the chat, to give it a try!
Last edited by erickowabunga on Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Slack is easy to use and signing up for it is quick and simple.

Thanks for setting it up Compsolut!
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

Ok, I'm trying but having an issue signing up, seems to only want to allow people with a @kowabungacomics.com email address to join the team. Any help would be appreciated.
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

fudd71 wrote:Ok, I'm trying but having an issue signing up, seems to only want to allow people with a @kowabungacomics.com email address to join the team. Any help would be appreciated.
You beat me by 30 seconds! I just fixed the bug. Use this URL to get your invite: https://comicbookpage.herokuapp.com/

This should work just fine and dandy.
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

Thanks for the help, once I got the right link very easy to do!
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

We are up to 7 users so far, and have had some fun quick-hit discussions. I would also like to promote people taking a picture and posting it from their LCS when they stop in (if you use a physical LCS), so we can all see what it looks like.
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

I should also add that if you are looking for customer copies of previews, or the sneaky insider retailer incentive details, those are both posted inside the Slack channel under #previews. :)
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

Thanks for setting this up Eric. The conversation has been great and an experience very different to the forum. It has been a unique and rewarding addition to the Comic Book Page experience.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Agreed.

Slack has been a fun way to have much more interactive discussions. Thanks for setting it up Eric!