Previews Spotlight #090 (Apr->Jun) Deadline: Sat AM, Apr 4

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Previews Spotlight #090 (Apr->Jun) Deadline: Sat AM, Apr 4

Post by JohnMayo »

Previews will be coming out on Wednesday, March 25th. The deadline for sending in submissions to the Previews Spotlight is the crack of dawn on Saturday, April 4th.

Please post which comics you will be sending in submissions for here on this thread with the full title and issue number. That way we can reduce the number of duplicate submissions and maximize the number of different items that are covered. If someone has already posted that they will be covering something you are passionate about discussing, we are okay with more than one submission for the item but want that to be the exceptional case.

Remember: Anyone can send in a short audio clip talking about any book in the upcoming Previews (or slated for release around that same time). This includes creators, publishers and other people directly involved in the project. This is your chance to promote items, including ones you have worked on.

The email address to send the clips to is TheGuys@ComicBookPage.com.

A couple of quick things that help out a lot in the organizing and producing of the episode:

Please featured item in a separate audio file. Exceptions can be made but the episode covers items in the order they are in Previews so listeners can follow along in Previews if they want to.

If possible, please follow the naming convention of:
p###-[M###-]ItemName-YourName.mp3

p###-: the page number in Previews (ex: an item on page 80 would start with p080-)
Note that the "p" is lowercase. I use the name of the clip to sort the tracks in Audacity and it sorts all of lowercase letters before any of the uppercase letters. Obviously, I can fix this part of the filename if needed. Likewise, if you don't know the Previews page number, don't sweat it as I can look it up. Knowing the publisher of the item is a huge help when looking up an item so if that can be included at the end of the ItemName if the page number isn't known, that helps.
M###-: If the item is in the Marvel Previews, use the first even page number in Previews for Marvel with the page number in the Marvel Previews.
If the item is not in the Marvel Previews, skip the M###- part of the file naming convention.
ItemName: This is the name of the item. We need is enough to determine which item it is.
YourName: All we need here is enough to properly credit you in the show notes.
Please do not include spaces in the filename. Not all of the tools we use to prep the clips for the episode handle spaces in filenames gracefully.

If it is something not in Previews (like The Private Eye), use 888 for the page number and be sure to include a URL or whatever information might be needed to get the item for I can include that in the show notes if needed.

So, essentially, it use this:
p000-[M000-]ItemName-YourName.mp3

p000-: placeholder for the page number in Previews
M###-: placeholder for the page number in Marvel Previews.
If the item is not in the Marvel Previews, skip the M###- part of the file naming convention.
ItemName: This is the name of the item. We need is enough to determine which item it is. The more complete this is, the better. Capitalize the first letter of each word and don't include spaces or punctuation. For example, "WolverineAndTheXMen1".
YourName: All we need here is enough to properly credit you in the show notes.

Please do not include spaces in the filename. Not all of the tools I use to prepare the clips for the episode handle spaces or other odd things in filenames gracefully.

At the very least, please include the full name of the item in the filename so it can be properly listed in the show notes. If you don't know the page number, that is fine. Just leave it off. But having the full name of the item the clip is for makes it much easier for me to organize the files and prepare for recording the episode.

If you have a link you'd like me to include in the show notes, include both your name and the link it in the email to me and I'll add it to the system I use for doing the show notes.

Useful Links
============
Tips on how to record a clip can be found here.

Online solicitations can be found at Comic Book Resources for Dark Horse, DC, IDW, Image and Marvel.

Dark Horse: http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... icitations
DC: http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... tatus-quos
IDW: http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... icitations
Image: http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... ew-50-more
Marvel: http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... icitations

Archie (Dark Circle): http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... e-shield-1
BOOM!/Archaia: http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... oken-world
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Re: Previews Spotlight #090 (Apr->Jun) Deadline: Sat AM, Apr

Post by bralinator »

I see a LOT of books I want to discuss, but I've winnowed them down to the following:

Dark Horse
Black Hammer #1 (p17/p35)

Dynamite Entertainment
Justice Inc The Avenger #1 (p328,329)

Astronauts in Trouble #1 (p214)

DC Comics
Batman: The Jiro Kuwata Batmanga Vol. 2 (p121)

Marvel Comics
Weirdworld #1 & 2 (Secret Wars) (p42)
Groot #1 (p82)
Werewolf by Night Omnibus HC (p133)
Last edited by bralinator on Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Here are the Comic Book Page picks of the month:

DC

EARTH 2: SOCIETY #1
Written by DANIEL WILSON
Art and cover by JORGE JIMENEZ
On sale JUNE 10 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
The survivors of Earth-2’s war with Apokolips find themselves on a new world, but can Green Lantern, Power Girl, a new Batman and the other heroes of Earth-2 create a new world that’s better than the last, or will their interference and good intentions doom this world, just like the old one?

WONDER WOMAN #41
Written by MEREDITH FINCH
Art and cover by DAVID FINCH and JONATHAN GLAPION
On sale JUNE 17 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US RATED T
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
A daring new direction begins with the arrival of a brand-new villain! But while he may be new to us, he’s not new to the world he seeks to tame. And speaking of villains, Donna Troy’s quest to destroy Wonder Woman ratchets up another gear (if that’s even possible!), while the games of the Gods bring dark portents to the ultimate Amazon!

IDW

Long Distance #1 (of 4)—SPOTLIGHT
Thomas Zahler (w & a & c)
From the creator of Love and Capes, Thom Zahler! While stranded in an airport, Carter and Lee meet and hit it off immediately. Problem is, he lives in Columbus and she lives in Chicago. Can they manage to have a relationship separated by three hundred miles, a time zone, and the entire state of Indiana?
FC • 48 pages • $4.99

ASTRONAUTS IN TROUBLE #1
story: LARRY YOUNG
art / cover: CHARLIE ADLARD
JUNE 10 / 32 PAGES / BW / E / $2.99
The series that brought THE WALKING DEAD artist CHARLIE ADLARD to the attention of ROBERT KIRKMAN has a new home at Image Comics!
In 1959, the Channel 7 News team covers a routine homicide that leads them to a mysterious rocket base in Peru filled with Russian spies. All in a day's work for the most trusted newsmen in America. They couldn't know their day'd end up with a hot pilot, a fast ship, cheap beer, and spacesuits!

MARVEL

SQUADRON SINISTER #1
MARC GUGGENHEIM (w) • CARLOS PACHECO (a/C)
• They’re the WORLD’S GREATEST… VILLAINS. The SQUADRON SINISTER. And they’re taking Battleworld by force in this Secret Wars tie-in for fans of crime epics like The Godfather, The Sopranos and Sons of Anarchy. But will controlling one Domain be enough for Hyperion and his gang?
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

FUTURE IMPERFECT #1
PETER DAVID (w)
GREG LAND (a/C)
ON BATTLEWORLD, THE DICTATOR OF DYSTOPIA IS A FAMILIAR FACE!
• THE MAESTRO rules but there are those who want him dethroned!
• What role does RUBY SUMMERS have in the plan for this dangerous rebellion?
• Have the rebels genuinely found ODIN, the father of The Gods, as an ally against the Maestro?
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

OTHER

ARCHIE

THE SHIELD #1
NEW ONGOING SERIES FROM DARK CIRCLE! "Daughter of the Revolution, Part 1” Since the dawn of the republic, whenever her country faces its blackest days, she returns: a spirit of the revolution sent to fight for what is right. But when she reappears for the first time in a generation with no memories—not even of her own identity—and encounters an evil force expecting her arrival, all the Shield can do is… run!
Script: Adam Christopher and Chuck Wendig
Art: David Williams, Gary Martin, Rachel Deering, Kelly Fitzpatrick
Cover: David Williams
On Sale Date: 6/17
32-page, full color comic
$3.99 U.S.

ARCHIE #1
(W) Mark Waid (A/CA) Fiona Staples
Comic superstars Mark Waid and Fiona Staples reimagine an icon! Change is coming to Riverdale in this can't-miss kick-off to Archie's new ongoing series! Familiar faces return in new and unexpected ways in this must-have #1 issue! As the new school year approaches, you'd think Archie Andrews would be looking forward to classes and fun-but nothing is as it seems in the little town of Riverdale. But is this a one-off or a sign of bigger changes awaiting for America's favorite teens — and the entire town? Find out in this exciting and remarkable first issue! (STK673086)

BLACK MASK COMICS

TRANSFERENCE #1
(W) Michael Moreci (A) Ron Salas (CA) Ron Salas, Giovanni Valleta
Colton Moss and his elite team of special agents run counter-terrorism operations utilizing a secret form of time travel technology called "transference," which enables them to send their consciousnesses back in time — but, when Colton's past is altered to reshape his life in the present, he discovers this technology isn't as exclusive as he thought. Now Colton must prevent a large-scale insurgency in the U.S. — and do so in the transference-past, where a terrorist's consciousness could be in any body, so everybody is a potential suspect. (STK673084)
MATURE THEMES
SRP: $3.99
MrAloha
Special Reviewer

Post by MrAloha »

My picks for Preview's Spotlight #090 are:

1) DC
Justice League #41
(Extra Size Issue) Part 1 of the Darksied War.
Writer: Geoff Johns
A/C: Jason Fabok

2) DC
America vs. Justice Society of America TP
Writer: Roy Thomas
Artist: Rafael Kayanan, Rich Buckler, Jerry Ordway, Alfredo Alcala, Howard Bender, and others

3) Marvel
Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows # 1 & 2
Writer: Dan Slott
A/C: Adam Kubert
Last edited by MrAloha on Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

picks dibs:

Sex Criminals #11
Red Hood / Arsenal #1
Strange Fruit #1
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

Not sure why, but my Previews & Marvel previews were not in my shipment this month. I dropped into my LCS to rectify that in time for this week's recording. I did get the main Previews catalog, but they were out of the Marvel previews. Luckily, the Marvel Previews is available online as a PDF here: http://www.reedcomics.com/images/photos ... eviews.pdf

You also get a copy when you redeem one of the marvel digital codes.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

The Marvel Previews is going to be out a week late this month. I got the Diamond Previews in my DCBS shipment as expected and should get the Marvel Previews in my next DCBS shipment.
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

I knew Marvel's was coming out late, but I didn't even get the full catalog. No biggie.
TJ602
Fan

Post by TJ602 »

p058- Veda Assembly Required TP
p073- The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service omnibus book 1 TP
p117- Superman #41
p142- Fables Volume 22 TP
p186- Bravo For Adventure HC
p202- 8House Arclight #1
p266- Wumo Something is Wrong TP
p309- Cursed Pirate Girl Annual #1