Marvel title cancellations

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

drew
Master Reviewer

Marvel title cancellations

Post by drew »

From Comics Alliance so...
In recent months, Marvel has taken to quietly letting cancelled series end, rather than announce it ahead of time with a “Final Issue” solicitation. With that in mind, it’s worth paying attention to what isn’t in the solicitations, and this month there are quite a few titles without new issues. Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat, Black Panther: World of Wakanda, Great Lakes Avengers, Silk, Silver Surfer, Thunderbolts, Gamora, and Deadpool and the Mercs For Money are all without new installments in May, and of those at least Hellcat and Silk are confirmed to be ending. While Robbie Reyes will cameo in the surviving Unbelievable Gwenpool, it looks like Ghost Rider might be finished too.

Read More: What You Might Have Missed In Marvel's May 2017 Solicitations | http://comicsalliance.com/marvel-may-20 ... ck=tsmclip

no surprises to me - of the list i am only reading silk occasionally
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Re: Marvel title cancellations

Post by JohnMayo »

Well, that should help me cut back a little on my reading...
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

JohnMayo wrote:Well, that should help me cut back a little on my reading...
There should be a "Like" button for those sorts of responses, John :)
NiklasJ
Special Reviewer

Post by NiklasJ »

:-(

All about the sales of course...

Silk is my favorite of among those (and silver surfer), she almost got to issue #20, not too bad for an almost new character (except the whole spiderman-origin carbon copy). Also it has been slipping a bit in quality of late, art is not where it was when it started and the story hasn´t had any momentum since the story before clone conspiracy. Reading the last solicits implies she might turn up later, maybe in a new shield-title after secret empire perhaps, together with another recently canceled mockingbird.

Slott and Allred have had trouble getting their Silver Surfer out lately, might be logistics behind its absence. Or that combined with low sales make them cut their losses.

I thought thunderbolts were going to be part of secret empire somehow but sales there have been low as well sadly...

Gamora NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... So much gorgeous art, should have been a miniseries from the start and if canceled at #5 it more or less is a miniseries though it never was stated.

After Secret Wars marvel have put up a lot of short lived new series, most without any real chance of establishing themselves. Which is actually unfortunate since many have been of quality...

From a company standpoint they might have overextended themselves on employees and to not have to cut down they need to put out a lot of books?
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

From a personal standpoint, I am very hopeful that the absence of Silver Surfer is merely due to the pace at which Slott/Allred/Allred are getting them out. This is the one lone book in the Marvel U that stays relatively untouched by the rapid roughshod events - and it is a visual feast.

In our shop, we have one subscriber to Great Lakes Avengers, two for Silk, zero for Gamora, one for Black Panter: World of Wakanda, zero Patsy Walker, six or seven Deadpool Mercs, and five Silver Surfer.
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

If it's delays, then maybe Slott should get off Twitter for a while and back to writing? Just a thought. Of course it could be the art department that's slowing things down. Who knows?
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

bralinator wrote:If it's delays, then maybe Slott should get off Twitter for a while and back to writing? Just a thought.
Mic drop ... But seriously, Slott appears to be focusing on Clone Conspiracy and Silver Surfer. Maybe something thrown in here and there. Certainly not anything to the scale of Jason Aaron.
bralinator wrote:Of course it could be the art department that's slowing things down. Who knows?
As far as the Allred's go, my suspicion is that this could be the culprit. If so, it is worth me waiting.
Rabbitrabbit
Visitor

Post by Rabbitrabbit »

I read Thunderbolts. It was below average in quality. Not really surprising.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

NiklasJ wrote: Silk is my favorite of among those (and silver surfer), she almost got to issue #20, not too bad for an almost new character (except the whole spiderman-origin carbon copy). Also it has been slipping a bit in quality of late, art is not where it was when it started and the story hasn´t had any momentum since the story before clone conspiracy. Reading the last solicits implies she might turn up later, maybe in a new shield-title after secret empire perhaps, together with another recently canceled mockingbird.
What i loved about silk was the uncontrollable attraction between her and peter parker, but they dropped this angle completely and it never resurfaced (or i missed it)

they could have explored that 'will they or wont they' aspect for another 20 issues...
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
tehkeizer
Contributor

Post by tehkeizer »

Out of everything i'm reading, Thunderbolts is my current favorite. top of the stack every time it comes out. This is a really big bummer for me.
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

John, Marvel is trimming back so you will have room for the Secret Empire spinoffs. :mrgreen:
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

doctormo wrote:
John, Marvel is trimming back so you will have room for the Secret Empire spinoffs. :mrgreen:
That is funny because that is true...
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
Perseus
Reviewer

Post by Perseus »

compsolut wrote:
bralinator wrote:If it's delays, then maybe Slott should get off Twitter for a while and back to writing? Just a thought.
Mic drop ... But seriously, Slott appears to be focusing on Clone Conspiracy and Silver Surfer. Maybe something thrown in here and there. Certainly not anything to the scale of Jason Aaron.
bralinator wrote:Of course it could be the art department that's slowing things down. Who knows?
As far as the Allred's go, my suspicion is that this could be the culprit. If so, it is worth me waiting.
The Allreds could be working on their Young Animal book, Bug the Forager. Can't wait to read it.